View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I am certainly better

I am going to add my story here.

I am 4 months post concussion and I am better. I try not to use the word recovered because that is such a strong word and brain healing is not like any other healing I've ever been though.

I will say that I live in a state of recovery.

Right now, I can take long walks (3-5 miles), and I can drive further distances and for several hours in a row.

I can drive myself to a store and shop in florescent lights, but those lights can still tire me out if I am tired at the start.

I can make food for my family and myself, so I can follow the directions of a recipe.

My sense of humor and word play is back! I delight in words and writing again. I am writing poetry about my recovery and just writing in general too.

Music sounds beautiful again -- and I can listen to a variety of music, even some of the low bass sounds of a pumping song are OK for me. I do prefer more gentle sounds though, such as some classical music or anything that is not too loud or high pitched.

I will start some part time work next week for teaching summer school. And I'll find out how it goes being in the classroom again.

I feel I am returning as a younger version of myself-- more innocent and full of wonder like a child, and for that, I feel so grateful.

Things that have helped me the most and not in order of importance.
1. Vitamin and supplement regimin
2. Support of a loving family
3. Prayer and meditation
4. Acupuncture
5. Asking questions here and reading various threads
6. The slogan, "Easy Does It" "Take One Day at A Time"

I know my brain is still healing, and my body chemistry is changing in its midlife journey too.

I have come this far, and believe to go further in my state of recovery.

It's my dearest hope that if you read this, it lifts you in hope too.

Sincerely,

poetrymom

Symptoms I had: dizziness, light and sound sensitivity, fatigue, tinitis, occasional headaches and migraines,

Symptoms as of 5--2013: poor sleep, tinitis, some confusion /short term memory blanks, balance. The other symptoms are mostly gone, but flare up if I OVERdo something.

Therapy I had: vestibular

3 months in: I could drive more and for longer distances. I felt like a younger, happier version of myself and I feel so blessed to have this feeling.

9 months in and I am working full time. I do get tired, and some sound and light sensitivity from time to time, but mostly I am over most of my symptoms.
I pray every day and I m praying for your recovery.

Over a year in: I can multi task (limited) and have humor in my life. But when I am tired, I am very tired.
poetrymom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GirlFromNorway (07-07-2013), Lolo82 (06-26-2014), MiaVita2012 (07-09-2013), MsRriO (07-09-2013)