View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Hi William

And Welcome to a place where......if you want it, people will chime in. We cannot make decisions for you, but we can provide our experiences from which you may gain knowledge to help that all important decision you must make.

I was implanted in June 2010 with the Boston Scientific version of SCS for the purpose of better managing the lumbar and leg nerve pain I experienced following a car wreck. I have been very positively benefited by my decision to go ahead with the implant. Using it I have been able to wean off of all pain meds, and have used the device to manage my low body pain ever since. It does not make "the world go away" as in the oldie song, but it does help.

The sensation in my lumbar and leg area is as though my body is constantly under a "pins and needles" effect, which effect I moderate using the device remote control to increase or decrease the effect depending upon need. I learned to accept the electrical impulse effect and do not find it to be awful.

True, I cannot have MRI type studies and carry identification cards which declare my SCS implant status for those who might be concerned such as in flying on commercial aircraft. I have not found it to be a terrible price to pay in relieving my body from such horrific pain without meds.

Healing will take some time, as it does in all situations, and you will become familiar with terms such as BLAST to avoid doing things such as bending, lifting, stretching, or twisting post op if you choose to follow the path. Once you are fully healed and scarred in, BLAST will become less of an issue, and one of our friends here KZLRogue, an Army veteran who was into combatives martial arts stuff, golf, and other things which gave her pleasure, was able to resume Golf and Karate after healing. Life can be restorative following such a procedure.

It does not work for everyone, and some have gained removal of the device after a time because of infection, problems with body rejection, trouble with pain post operative, and the like. The device is NOT for everyone and going into the process is so invasive and costly you will be required to go through psychological evaluation to help determine whether you present with an ability to sustain having the procedure performed.

I Feel BLESSED to have had it done. I truly do.
Consider all of your options carefully,
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZ-Di (07-12-2013), CoralToe (07-12-2013), eva5667faliure (07-17-2013), Nanc (07-12-2013), Rrae (07-09-2013)