View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Help! Post Concussion Syndrome advice/vestibular concussion?

Hello! I've been using this site for months since my injury, and I've decided to finally register and start asking questions about this tricky and awful condition called PCS.

I was kicked in the head in Feb 2012 by a special ed student I was in charge of and since then I've had many health problems from the injury. Massive migraine-type headaches that originate in the right temple where I was kicked and a very bad tender spot behind my right ear. I've tried Topamax 100mg since I was on it two months before the injury to prevent intermittent migraines, although I was on 25mg before the injury and that didn't work at all, along with Neurontin 600 mg and all that did was help me sleep and then feel even more fatigued during the whole day. I thankfully found out about these lenses called Irlen Lenses that assist with light sensitivity, sensory issues, and reading. This has helped both my aspergers and brain injury immensely. However, I'm now off of all medications besides Remeron 45 mg to keep depression from getting me down. I've started on this supplement called Feverfew, Formula 303 and fish oil, which has decreased the headaches from about 30% over the course of the two weeks. I've purchased Migrelief and CoQ10 from Amazon, since it's helped so many headaches sufferers in the past. I was going to try Elavil, but I've decided to give the supplements more of a chance before taking a med that could cause serious side effects. My neurologist seems to be just throwing meds at me, and I'm sick of feeling not in charge of my body. I was extremely active before this injury, biking for hours and hours in the hot sun without health side effects, and desperately want to go back to the life I had before. I'm not working, and a settlement on my case is being decided now, which definitely adds to the stress. Thankfully I have a good support system and my boyfriend drives me everywhere I need to go along with using the disability public service called the Ride in the boston area.

I feel like I can get these headaches under control, that also affects me cognitively, I can slowly introduce intense exercise back in my life. I've tried the chiropractor for my neck issue (retrolisthesis) which I received from past concussions (I believe I've had about 4) and this one. This is the only concussions I've had serious problems with. The chiro has helped the muscles relax better but hasn't really helped with the headaches.

Whenever I ask my neurologist about the tender spot behind my ear, she dismisses it and says it's probably muscular. However, I've just read articles about vestibular concussions, and believe this is what I'm suffering from. Does anyone have any treatment advice for this? The tender spot is very painful to touch and it brings on more headaches. I want it to heal but I'm not sure what else I can be doing for it, that doesn't involve massive amounts of painkiller meds that just cause rebound headaches in the long run. Any advice would be much appreciated! It's been a long road, and I want this to end as quickly as possible. Thanks!
Hoping4thebest84 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote