View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Switching from Quick Release to Slow Release, PLEASE HELP!

Hi, I've had 5 knee surgeries and developed severe, debilitating nerve pain in both knees. I've been on daily pain meds for over 5 years now (excepting a 4-month stint of nothing). I currently take 250 mg of quick release ultram (tramadol) daily (two 50mg pills when I wake up, three in the afternoon). But with my kind of chronic, constant pain, I need to be on a longer-lasting medication. My doctor is going to switch me to either morphine or oxycontin (I was on the latter for about 2 years, from 2008-2010). I don't need to be talked away from this or warned about anything, I know the risks and the dangers; being bedridden and in agonizing pain and non-functional and suicidal vs. the relatively low risk of addiction = a no brainer.

My only question is, what would do you think is the appropriate dose of oxycontin SR (works better and with very mild side effects compared to morphine) to take the place of my current regiment of 250 mg/day of QR Ultram? I'll ask my doctor but he wants me to price it first, so I'd like to ask people who actually have severe chronic pain.

Thanks!
janthraxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote