View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Grace,

Hopefully you are feeling better today.

You can get a sinus infection from an infected tooth without a perforation in the sinus membrane. So that may be what had occurred with you if the OS said the sinus was intake when he removed the tooth.

The one thing that concerns me is you said the extraction only took 3 minutes and he didn't do anything else other than remove the tooth. A thorough tooth extraction includes removal of the tooth, removal of the periodontal ligament and debrided of any visible necrotic tissue. Do you recall him doing that?

When you see him on tuesday you might inquire about that. You could ask him something like this .... <<< I was surprised that the extraction went so quick considering that I had an infection that apparently had spread to my sinus. I did some reading on extractions and I want to know if you removed the periodontal ligament and scraped the bone clean of infection??>>

Hopefully he did everything he should have done. In the meantime, keep the area clean with warm salt water rinses. No mouthwash as that will just irritate the surgical wound. Eat soft foods and avoid chewing on that side. It is best to make sure you brush and floss all of your other teeth very well to keep the plaque down.

I do hope you are feeling better today
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace123 View Post
Hi Bryanna
Thanks a lot for your reply.
The pain is better today, so I didn’t go to see the oral surgeon.

About the sinus.
During the consultation before the extraction (tooth #14), I did ask the OS about the sinus situation. He said the root doesn’t look like growing into the sinus cavity from the panoramic x-ray. He said the infection was not very obvious and at least very localized. I also told him that during the root canal treatment (between May and June, 2013), I got very bad sinus infection . Is there any way to repair the perforation? He mentioned something (I forgot the name) that can be used to repair the perforation.
The extraction was on the next morning (July 2, 2013). Before the extraction, I asked him again about the sinus. He said “we will see”. The extraction was fast (less than 3 minutes). I don’t think he did anything else other than extracting the tooth. After the surgery, I asked him whether any root is in the sinus cavity and he said no. I expressed my worry about the sinus infection again. He put me on Z-pack. This OS is referred by a holistic dentist and supposed to be a reputable one. But I really don’t know now whether he took care of my sinus issue or not.
I still feel some pressure around the sinus area 4 days after the extraction. Sometimes the pain starts from the extraction site and penetrates to the sinus area. I am very concerned now after reading some posts here. I have a follow up appointment with the OS next Tuesday. Is there anything I should ask the OS about? What else should I do? Could you please let me know?
Thank you very much
Grace
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote