View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi fistula,

Glad to hear that our extraction site has healed well.

I will re post your question and answer in bold type.

<<<#1) I had a root canal done on one of my tooth 10 years ago and still strong. My dentist suggested me to put a crown over it recently to prevent it from a crack.>>>

ROOT CANALED TEETH ARE NOT HEALTHY BUT WHEN THERE ARE NO OBVIOUS SYMPTOMS, THE PERSON ASSUMES THE TOOTH IS "STRONG" AND OKAY. YOUR DENTIST SUGGESTS A CROWN BECAUSE THE TOOTH IS WEAK AND SUSCEPTIBLE TO FRACTURING.

<<<Should I do it? I am only afraid that it will introduce new problems if done. If yes, what kind of dentist should I find? oral surgeon? >>>

THE CHOICE IS YOURS. PREPARING THE TOOTH FOR THE CROWN WILL INTRODUCE BACTERIA INTO THAT ALREADY COMPROMISED AREA. IT WILL ALSO CAUSE ADDITIONAL TRAUMA TO THE TOOTH. CROWNS ARE COMMONLY DONE ON ROOT CANALED TEETH BECAUSE AS I MENTIONED ABOVE, THE TOOTH IS WEAK AND SUSCEPTIBLE TO FRACTURING. A RESTORATIVE DENTIST SUCH AS A GENERAL DENTIST DOES CROWN WORK.

<<<There is the old saying: "don't fix anything when it's still good". Otherwise, it will introduce a new problem when things go wrong.>>>

SYMPTOMS ARE USUALLY NON EXISTENT OR MILD WITH MOST DENTAL PROBLEMS ESPECIALLY REGARDING ROOT CANALED TEETH. IT IS WHEN THE PROBLEM BECOMES SEVERE THAT SYMPTOMS SHOW THEMSELVES.

Bryanna
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote