View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I sent the diagram with the explanations on each symptom to my kids. My oldest son called me last night and said he had looked at it and was asking me if I had all those symptoms. I told him that I had most of them but not usually all at the same time.

When my kids ask "how are you feeling today?" I usually say "fine" or "pretty good". I usually don't specify which symptom is bothering me on that particular day. There's nothing anyone can do about it and I don't want to be perceived as whiny or a complainer. Plus, I've learned to ignore most of the aggravating symptoms.....they happen so much they've become my new normal!

As parents we tend to play down sickness or injury when talking to our kids. It's just human nature to want to protect those dearest to you.

At a minimum I hope it just reinforces to them that just because they can't see my disability at first glance it's still there and just because I don't talk about it all the time I'm still dealing with it in my own way. I think it's made them more compassionate individuals.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (07-09-2013), jprinz99 (07-12-2013), SallyC (07-09-2013)