View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I can relate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomgonenuts View Post
My 15 yr old has been diagnosed as bipolar and secondary ADHD. I am looking for friends that understand the daily struggles of parenting a child with this disease. I feel alone and isolated. Can anyone relate?
Hi! Welcome to the boards! I am usually elsewhere here talking about my own pesky health issues, but I have a daughter who was diagnosed several years ago, she is now 15 and doing very well.

Those first couple of years as we were searching for answers were pretty rough, especially when she was 12-13. We went to many doctors, therapists, med combinations etc. She was hospitalized twice for suicidal ideation and mania. She also suffers from anxiety, and was having lots of trouble sleeping, since she had hallucinations at night. She couldn't be alone, then when she could be alone all the lights had to be on. We finally found a med combination, a therapist, and a psychiatrist that worked for her. But it was a long search to get there.

She seems to be a success story. She just finished her freshman year of high school with straight A's and got involved in activities. She sleeps in her own bed, but that lamp is still on! She takes lamictal and seroquel. We are weaning down the seroquel to a lower dose this summer to see how she does.

It is great that you are reaching out for support for yourself. I think it is necessary, since parents that have kids without depression/anxiety just can't relate in the same way.

Keep posting!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (07-09-2013)