View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Grace,

The description of your root canal treatment and the symptoms that you had certainly sounds to me like that dentist may have perforated the apex (root of the tooth) with a file instrument as well as the sinus. That would explain A LOT!!! That occurrence is not uncommon but it sets up house for a nasty long term infection. I'm betting that's what happen!!!

Regarding the note from your holistic dentist...
1) He was verbally trying to reassure you that ALL OS KNOW to remove the periodontal ligament. Unfortunately, he is very aware that not all of them routinely do that. As you have found out :/
2) He agreed to write the note to the OS as a way of "notifying" him to make sure to remove the ligament. This note also made it clear that YOU had been informed of this step. The OS should have performed that step without question.

This holistic dentist needs to be informed of what has happened. I do not see any reason why you should not trust him at this point.

I cannot determine the proper antibiotic for you to take. I can only inform you about the importance of researching the potential harmful affects of Levaquin. I can also inform you about the overuse of antibiotics and that they need to be prescribed carefully and not carelessly to patients. At this point the site may need to be cultured to determine the proper antibiotic. Please think about calling the holistic dentist and tell him what has happened. Let him evaluate it and/or refer you to another oral surgeon.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace123 View Post
Bryanna,
Thanks a lot for all the info and the encouragement. I do appreciate I find people like you and others here.

I have no doubt that this tooth was not healthy since it had bothered me for at least two years.

I stopped seeing my original general dentist after his root canal treatments for this #14 (at the begining of June). My gut told me I got this bad sinus infection from his third root canal treatment for this tooth (He was filing and drilling there and all of the suddent, I felt a sharp pain around my left nose. The next day I started smell some bad odor from my nose, then the yellow/green discharge).

I switched to another general dentist (holist dentist) in the mid June. He referred me to this OS. I don't know how good this holist dentist is. Before the surgery, I asked him how could oral surgons know the periodontal ligament needs to be removed. The holist dentist said yes they know. Upon my request, the holist dentist wrote on the referral form "extract the tooth and remove the periodontal ligament..."

Should I change to another general dentist? Or I just go ahead to find another oral surgeon by my own?

Before I can get an appointment with another surgeon, do you think Z-pack is a better antibiotic than levaquin. I was on Z-pack for 5 days after the surgery.

Many thanks,

Grace
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote