View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ful View Post
Gabriella, Sorry you have an MG diagnosis but happy you now know what's been going on. You should be fine with the mestinon. I am since it helps me greatly.

My doc says it's OK to tinker with the dose schedule as long as I don't over do it or take too much. I started with 60mg every 4 X per day, but after seeing what that did, my doc said 30mg every 2 hours was fine and that worked better for me. Mestinon wears off quickly and it worked better when I kept the level more constant by taking more doses of smaller amount.

Some people start with a dose recommendation from their doc and find that the doc wants to raise it up a bit after the person gets to see what it does and how they feel. Talk to your doc if it seems to be 'almost' working. You might need a little more. If it makes you twitchy or gives a stomach ache, maybe you need less. Just keep talking with you doc and you'll figure out the best way it can help you.

Mestinon takes about 15 minutes to 'kick in'. It wears off in about 3 hours. If you take too little, you don't get full relief of weakness. If you take a little too much, you get muscle twitching and maybe an upset stomach. If you take a lot too much, it actually causes muscle weakness (I haven't felt that and I don't want to). Don't take more than your doc says.

You'll be OK.

It doesn't work to relieve symptoms on everyone who takes it. I hope it works on you because it really can help. It's almost a miracle when it works.

Sorry you are 'in the club'. I hope you find the mestinon works well. It may be all you need to feel really good and be back to normal. Back to normal can actually happen to you. Good luck we all need it.

Thank you for telling me all of this, especially how long it takes to kick in, that way I can figure out what is right for me and understand how long it takes to feel it. I felt like crying when you said the "club" not because I was sad, but because for so many years I was undiagnosed and so sick and now to know I even have a club is so relieving to me. I just remember almost begging doctors to help me, one even said I was probably dying from a progressive neurological illness, but that he didn't know what it was! ack!
Gabriella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cait24 (07-12-2013), gr8ful (07-12-2013)