View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The strange thing is that most people I know are perfectly capable of judging whether their problems are causes by stress/anxiety/depression/etc. And even the one person I suspected of not being able to turned out to have something 'physical' as well (although I have never seen somebody with a hip problem walk stranger then she did, and every time something 'stressful' happened she walked even stranger. But I don't think they give you a hip replacement as a placebo treatment ).

Almost all women with auto-immune disease I know have been told at some point it was 'psychological'. I don't understand why doctors think women are such labile creatures, on average women are better at understanding their own emotions than man, they talk about it al the time!(maybe that's why doctors think so?)

By the way: I am allowed to keep my 3,4 dap and mestinon, for now. The doctor who first said that I was right to think I may have LEMS and then turned a 180 degrees and said it doesn't even look like that renewed my prescription. He now turned another 90 degrees and said that it looks like LEMS but he doesn't have any proof. He told me that in his experience many people display all the symptoms of a disease after they did much research on the internet, but if you treat them for the disease with medication the effect wears of after a while. Sigh, I didn't develop symptoms after research on the internet, I had these symptoms all the time. And I can prove it too, because every single problem is listed in my medical files. Only: every doctor only listed the symptoms of what they thought was the cause of my trouble
-Sjorgren’s disease: dry eyes, dry mouth, constipation, fatigue, ‘aches’
-Thyroid disease: heavy painful muscles, constipation, fatigue, depression. I have thyroid disease, but I take medication for that, so there is no reason why I should continue to have such problems.
-Depression: constipation, dizziness, heavy painful muscles, fatigue. I did suffer from severe depression, but that went away when I went on thyroid medication
-Addison's disease: fatigue, orthostatic hypotension, depression.
-Mitochondrial disease: constipation, eye disease, hearing trouble, orthostatic hypotension, heavy painful muscles

The only thing that is not listed is muscle weakness, but that is because I didn't realize I have that, since I was a child when it all started, so how am I to know the difference between heavynes/fatigue and weakness? I did describe it correcly and exactly the same way other people with LEMS do, only I didn't use the words 'muscle weakness'.

But when you take all information into account (including the enormous changes of my symptoms over time) there is only one thing left: LEMS and a dominantly inherited disorder which causes my eye and hearing problems. So I'm not really worried about the wearing of of the effect of the medication. And the doctor also told me that there is only one thing that reacts to DAP: LEMS (+ placebo effect if I am 'crazy' of course, but he is kind enough to let me discover by myself I am 'crazy' ).

I don't mean anything mean by 'crazy' by the way, in my opinion psychiatric diseases are diseases like any other. But I think it is really cruel to label someone like that if he/she doesn't have a psychiatric disorder. Because someone with a psychiatric problem can work on that with medication and therapies, but someone who is wrongly diagnosed, can do nothing to solve the problem (and is left with accusations of not 'willing' to address the problem as a bonus)

Last edited by Matilda; 07-12-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Matilda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cait24 (07-12-2013), Fortunatos (07-12-2013), Quandry (07-12-2013)