View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRPSed View Post
Hi,

Am new to this forum. I had a fall in February that resulted in a broken hand, sprained leg & (eventually) a frozen shoulder. I was told in May that I had CRPS 1 on my forearm / hand.

I've been put on pills (gabapentin, methylprednisolone) & have had two Stellate Ganglion blocks (SGBs) done.

However, I have NEVER had any CRPS - related pain whatsoever. I have had joint stiffness but that is naturally due to being in a long cast & splints for a total of 8 weeks. Physical therapy has resulted in great progress here. At no point, have I been prevented from doing aggressive PT due to any CRPS-related discomfort (as there is none).

CRPS also does not stop me from using my hand in day to day life. Gradual healing of fracture meant that I started (and increased) weight bearing activity.

Is this normal? I've been told to get more SGBs and to increase gabapentin dosage. The only factors leading to CRPS 1 diagnosis (from what I know) have been the skin color, oily appearance and the fact that I had trauma there in February.

I fear that I'm taking so many steps to control an ailment I may not have.

I'm looking for advice on the next steps. I've tried 3 Pain Management docs, each with very similar diagnosis & prescriptions.
Hello,

My first questions would be if not for pain what brought you to 3 ortho's, 3 PM's and what was the reasoning behind the need for the SGB's? I understand from your post that you had frozen shoulder, but other than discolored skin what were your hand symptoms? Were the blocks and diagnosis part of your shoulder and hand symptoms together?

I know if I were you, I certainly would not be taking Neurontin (Gabapentin) or SGB's without symptoms of nerve pain! Shoot I wouldn't take anything if I weren't in pain - that just doesn't make sense with the risk of side effects.

Why was the second block given if you weren't ever in pain? Usually they are given to relieve pain? I am as confused as you are.. very strange rationale by the doctors based solely on what you have shared.

If I were in your shoes.. I would live my life and forget CRPS if you are not in pain and only need help regaining full function of hand/wrist/shoulder then by all means do home and formal PT and get on with life!! If on the other hand there are issues that you are still seeking answers for that are not mentioned above then in order for any of us to help you we would need the rest of the story.

If it is not CRPS - jump up and down for JOY and be THANKFUL!!!
Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote