View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

MisterE,

the jaw pain symptomy you describe sound quite familiar to me. I have right side jaw pain which seems to come from about 2 centimeters from the ear towards the mouth. I usually get it right after I wake up. Most of days, it dissolves by itself during the day (or with help from mild oral analgesic), but some of the days it travels up parallel to the ear to the head and no analgesic helps that one (tried ibuprofen). About every 2 months it flares up into horrible migraine, once I almost threw up. It's been happening for about a year to me, as you describe, not that often at first, but for the last two months I've had it 80-90% of days (keeping a log now).

Four oral surgeons and one otolaryngologist have inspected me so far, ironically, only the otolaryngologist said he's like to see a CT scan (this is my next step) and says my TMJ does not feel normal (all four oral surgeons think joint is ok as I have no problems or pain opening my mouth and grinding).

Oral surgeons have two theories at the moment.
No. 1 is pyschological - stress causing muscle problems. I've been given xanax and had to do some exercises for the facial muscles for a month but hasn't helped so far.
No. 2 is a bit more complicated and "out-there" and also involves muscles around the TMJ plus problems with atlanto-occipital joint (in the neck) which is caused by bad posture - they say my body is out of alignment, causing strain on muscles on one side. I also have some pain in right arm muscles from time to time and also in pelvic area - this could all be connected. I've been referred to a physiatrist (rehabilitation physicians, NOT psychiatrist, although I could use that on too, lol), waiting for the appointment.

The otolaryngologist (ear-nose-throat checks ok) says I've probably been eating/grinding food on the left side for a prolonged period and that caused problems with my right TMJ.

BTW, most of the doctors I've seen so far say teeth problems should be excluded first, as most of these one-sided jaw pain episodes are teeth-related. Have you had any root canals done? I'd check all of them for possible new infections first. I'm trying to get my right-side teeth checked, I've got a few suspects to exclude there...

Hope this helps you with some ideas...

Peter
raintaker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote