View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Peter,

Yes, different tooth numbering for different areas of the world. Why?? Who knows.

Okay, so it is imperative to tell the oral surgeon about your chronic long standing sinus issues as I am betting they are related to this tooth... if not the root canaled one next to it as well. Some dentists will not admit the correlation between the sinuses and the teeth. While others laugh at the idea of not connecting the two as they are so intricately related. Medically there is no question about the connection.

Interesting that you mention how your health has changed since you have had some teeth root canaled. That is not uncommon for people to report to their dentist. It is however often neglected by their dentist.... again some make the physical connection while others don't.

I understand that the doctrine is to "save the tooth" .... however, dentists are aware that term does not indicate "cure" the problem. It simply means to "retain" the problem. That is what needs to be conveyed to the patient. Your tooth will remain infected and so will the sinus. The major health concern with an upper tooth that is infected after it has spread to the sinus is that it can also spread to the brain. I know that is scary to think about, but it can and does happen. Again, dentists should convey this fact to their patients.

You also need to be aware that the apico will permanently injure the bone and set up for additional infection in both the bone and the sinus. The bone that is compromised during the apico is not replaceable.

I inform people of the facts that they are often not told by their dentist because after 35 yrs in dentistry I know just how detrimental it can be for the patient to not be properly informed.

I wish you all the best. In spite of what the "typical protocol" is as far as the insurance is concerned..... please think about being your own advocate and be mindful of what I have shared with you so that you can make a wise choice that you feel is in your best interest.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by raintaker View Post
Hi Bryanna,

thanks for the thorough, albeit scary explanation. It certainly might explain "full nose" issues I've been having for the last year (I was given a corticosteroid spray for suspected allergic rhinitis but didn't help much). I'm aware you're very much against the use of root canal therapy and I'm following your answers here with great interest, as my number of root canals increased from 2 to 6 in past year and in that time I got all sorts of yet unexplained problems.

Also the cavities you mention on #15 - one dentist alterted my of the one between 14 and 15, while my personal dentist saw no cavity there (ok at least on the panoramic x-ray a week ago, hasn't seen this one yet). No-one mentioned the one on the other side of 15, but I did mention I've been feeling discomfort there when touching the area with my tongue.

I am feeling a better today (gland not tender anymore and a bit less pain) and will try to wait till Monday. Will certainly report how it plays out (I assume they will want to try apico first as the doctrine round here is to try to "save the tooth" if possible - the healthcare insurance pays for that while I don't think it pays for the implants)...

Regarding the teeth numbering - looks like you're using the "Universal numbering system" that is used in the USA, while I'm using the "FDI World Dental Federation notation" used in Europe (as I'm from Europe) Interesting to know, wasn't aware there were multiple nomenclature systems.

Thanks
Peter