View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi pdne,

I am in the dental field and will answer your questions in bold type.

<<<1) How likely is the pain I've been having all these years due to this possibly infected root canal? I mean if I've had an infection all these years, wouldn't it have gotten extremely bad by now? In other words, is it possible for this root canal infection to persist at a steady state, giving me this constant dull swollen achy sensation for all these years but not to the point where it was ridiculously painful?>>>

THERE IS MOST LIKELY A CORRELATION. YOU HAVE PRACTICALLY DRAWN A MAP FROM YOUR TOOTH TO YOUR CHEEK BONE. THE INFECTION PROBABLY HAS GOTTEN WORSE OVER THE YEARS BUT IT'S OBVIOUSLY FINDING WAYS/AREAS TO DRAIN. IF IT HAS INVADED THE SINUS, THEN THE SINUS COULD BECOME ENLARGED AND THEN DRAIN.. ENLARGED AND THEN DRAIN. THE MAJOR CONCERN HERE IS... AND THIS IS GOING TO BE A BIT ALARMING..... YOUR BRAIN IS ONLY 3-4 INCHES FROM THE ROOTS OF YOUR TEETH. TOOTH INFECTIONS CAN CAUSE BRAIN ABSCESSES AND THE SYMPTOMS OF THESE INFECTIONS MAY OR MAY NOT BE SEVERE. SO THIS IS NOTHING TO TAKE LIGHTLY OR TO ALLOW TO GO ON MUCH LONGER.

2) Should I at least give the root canal option one more shot (making this the 2nd time) before considering extraction options?

IT IS THE TOOTH THAT IS CAUSING THE CHRONIC INFECTION. A SECOND ROOT CANAL DOES NOTHING TO ALTER THE INFECTION INSIDE OF THE MICROSCOPIC CANALS NOR WILL IT ALTER THE INFECTION THAT HAS NOW SPREAD TO THE BONE. THE PROCEDURE WILL HOWEVER CAUSE ADDITIONAL INFLAMMATION AND TRAUMA TO THE TOOTH AND SURROUNDING BONE. IT MAY ALSO PUSH BACTERIA FURTHER PAST THE APEX OF THE TOOTH AS THE FILES AND REAMERS ARE SHOVED UP INSIDE THIS WEAK AND FRAGILE TOOTH.

3) What is the downside to extraction? From my point of view, half of the tooth is already gone from the root canal. Is there any risk or side effect from removing the tooth?

THE UPSIDE IS ONCE THE TOOTH IS REMOVED THE SOURCE OF THE INFECTION IS REMOVED. IT IS ONLY THEN THAT THE AREA CAN BE SURGICALLY DEBRIDED OF VISIBLE BACTERIA, THE SINUS CAN BE SEEN AND TREATED IF NEEDED AND YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM CAN START TO HEAL THIS SICK SITE. THE HEALTH RISK IS IN RETAINING THE TOOTH, NOT IN REMOVING IT. REPLACEMENT OF THIS TOOTH MAY BE COMPROMISED DUE TO THE LONG TERM INFECTION DEPENDING ON HOW DEEP IT HAS SPREAD. YOU MAY NEED TO BE ON ANTIBIOTICS FOR A WEEK OR MORE AND YOU MAY NEED A SECOND SURGERY IF THE AREA DOES NOT HEAL PROPERLY. YOU MAY BE A CANDIDATE FOR A PERMANENT BRIDGE OR A PARTIAL DENTURE. YOU WOULD HAVE TO DISCUSS YOUR REPLACEMENT OPTIONS WITH YOUR DENTIST.

Keep in mind that the longer you hold onto this tooth, the more advanced the infection and the more complicated the surgery. I'm sorry but extraction is inevitable with this tooth :/

I am here to provide information that is not often disclosed by some dentists. I hope you can now make an informed decision as to what you believe is in your best interest.

All the best to you.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdne View Post
I have pain below the upper left cheekbone area. I would describe it as a dull, swollen ache feeling that is there all the time. I've had this pain since 2005. I've tried to figure out the source of the problem but to no avail. I had a root canal done in 2006/2007 (don't remember exactly) and I had hoped that maybe the cause was the tooth. However, the pain lingered and I've pretty much been living with the pain all these years. I went to different doctors but no one knows what's going on. Now recently, I went back to a dentist who claims to see signs of infection at the top of this old root canal. This is tooth #14. They are suggesting for me to clean and re-do the root canal.

After reading these posts by Bryana, I'm wondering if I should get the tooth extracted rather than re-doing the root canal. Basically some questions:
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote