Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 12:03 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Constant sever back pain

About a year ago i slipped in the shower and although i did nt fall i Jarred my back which caused me untold pain. I went to see my doctor who told me that i had torn a ligament and the muscle was ' spasming ' around the tear to protect it??? He adminstered Very strong painkillers (DF 118 or DHC 60 mg 2 am & 2 pm ) and muscle relaxants.This kwelled the pain and i was able to work etc but that was about it the rest of the time i was too sore to partake in physical activity and even pottering around the house was hard work. After about 7 months I gradually lowered the painkilling dose and was able to gradually resume a normal life. At Christmas this year i started to feel pain in my back again and over the next few months it got worse. I have a swelling at the base of my back which you can see and feel. In April i returned to my doctor as the pain was just getting unbearable since then i am on Morphine sulphate capsules 60mg am and between 30 and 60mg pm, as well as the DHC and Oramorph for break through pain. I have had an MRI scan which showed various things that i dont understand and Dehydration of L3 & L4???? The pain is so bad, constant and gives me shooting pains down my back and right buttock and leg. As a result i am unable to work or basically carry out daily tasks such as cleaning the home going out with my children even for walks. Has anyone experienced any of the symtoms that i have described or heared of anything like it? I am due to see a surgeon soon but am terrified of doctors hospitals or anything to do with them. I anyone can give me any information of what could be causing this or what the cure could be i would be extreamly grateful.
dannyefc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyefc View Post
About a year ago i slipped in the shower and although i did nt fall i Jarred my back which caused me untold pain. I went to see my doctor who told me that i had torn a ligament and the muscle was ' spasming ' around the tear to protect it??? He adminstered Very strong painkillers (DF 118 or DHC 60 mg 2 am & 2 pm ) and muscle relaxants.This kwelled the pain and i was able to work etc but that was about it the rest of the time i was too sore to partake in physical activity and even pottering around the house was hard work. After about 7 months I gradually lowered the painkilling dose and was able to gradually resume a normal life. At Christmas this year i started to feel pain in my back again and over the next few months it got worse. I have a swelling at the base of my back which you can see and feel. In April i returned to my doctor as the pain was just getting unbearable since then i am on Morphine sulphate capsules 60mg am and between 30 and 60mg pm, as well as the DHC and Oramorph for break through pain. I have had an MRI scan which showed various things that i dont understand and Dehydration of L3 & L4???? The pain is so bad, constant and gives me shooting pains down my back and right buttock and leg. As a result i am unable to work or basically carry out daily tasks such as cleaning the home going out with my children even for walks. Has anyone experienced any of the symtoms that i have described or heared of anything like it? I am due to see a surgeon soon but am terrified of doctors hospitals or anything to do with them. I anyone can give me any information of what could be causing this or what the cure could be i would be extreamly grateful.
I hope you see the surgeon and get some idea of what he/she can do.
If whoever you see has a sub speciality in lower backs I'd be listening to their advice.
You're taking a s...load of addictive painkillers so if there's a way out go for it.
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:21 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have been dealing with simular issues over the last couple of years. I'm glad you are seeing a surgeon soon and I hope they have some good news for you, but if you dont feel comfortable with their opinion, please get a second or third. Of course getting fixed up and off pain meds is everyones goal, but if you need them take them and dont feel rushed into surgury.

Pool therapy has probably been the best thing for me. Just getting the weight off your back and allowing it to loosen up is worth the trip to the pool. For me it appears I would need a three level fusion and my surgeon said that he wants me to try all other means first. I have come a long way just by lightly stretching and PT, I can now go out to a movie or dinner at a resturant and enjoy myself with little pain and I am able to work part time. It doesnt sound like much, but because just a year ago I wouldnt have been able to do this, I feel like I am doing very well.

I am also on ms contin, muscle relaxors and breakthrough meds. For me I am able to funtion well on them and it has had minimal impact on my family and work (pain is more of a factor here). I hope to be off them soon, but in the meantime I just do my best to make improvements and hope and pray for the best. Take care, and yes there are many many of us out there like you, your not alone and all you can do is embrace family and seek the best medical advice you can.
neednewback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default You Are Not Alone! I Understand!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyefc View Post
I too, have constant severe pain in my entire spine. After a 3 disc fusion, the rest of my entire spine is inoperable plus I now have two new herniated discsl, one above and one below the titanium plate. Do you have anyone other than your spouse to talk to? I am here for you, anytime. If you like, I will give you my email so we can talk. Just let me know. I understand your frustration (that is puting it mildly, I'm sure) in not being able to participate in your "past" activities. How old are your children, if I may ask? Don't fear physicians. Keep looking. There will be the correct one for you out there. Sometimes you have to go and throw out all of the "bad apples" before you find the correct one. Please, please get everything done that you can before you get older...then it gets rough. Please get back to me, if you like.
plollis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote