Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Migraines and ACDF

Hi,
I am scheduled to have ACDF surgery in two weeks due to severe spinal stenosis and spinal myeopathy. Even though my MRI looks very bad according to my NS, my only symptoms are abnormal reflexes and chronic migraines. I have at least 4 or 5 migraines per week and I am completely non-functional with them. I do take medication and have tried PT with no relief. I have two small children, so I am desperate for relief.

My question is: Will my migraines probably go away with this surgery? My NS said he cannot guarantee that the headaches will go away, and that I have to have the surgery regardless - due to the fact that my spinal cord is being damaged.

All I want is to be migraine-free!!

Thanks for any help.
bcsbooboo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi bcsbooboo;

I didn't get them before my ACDF 4.5 years ago (or got them only rarely and mildly) but seem to have been getting them a lot the last several months, and in conjunction with a return of symptoms. Short answer from me is maybe? There does seem to be some correlation with mine but I can't prove it. I know when I get this type of migraine, I feel pain down into my scapula area as well as my head and neck so I do think the neck problem may be a trigger.

Good luck to you! I hope the surgery fixes your problem!
disjointed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Acdf surgery post

I wish you well... My surgery was a success despite what my MRI and CAT scan revealed. My doctors are all amazed with my recorvery. However; I have started having migrane headaches, since the surgery and they are constant and almost daily. I am not able t funtion because of the migranes and the medication Im having to take. So I wish you the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsbooboo View Post
Hi,
I am scheduled to have ACDF surgery in two weeks due to severe spinal stenosis and spinal myeopathy. Even though my MRI looks very bad according to my NS, my only symptoms are abnormal reflexes and chronic migraines. I have at least 4 or 5 migraines per week and I am completely non-functional with them. I do take medication and have tried PT with no relief. I have two small children, so I am desperate for relief.

My question is: Will my migraines probably go away with this surgery? My NS said he cannot guarantee that the headaches will go away, and that I have to have the surgery regardless - due to the fact that my spinal cord is being damaged.

All I want is to be migraine-free!!

Thanks for any help.
Angela35 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote