Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Would appreciate feedback on L5/S1 back surgery

Hi, I'm about to have the above listed surgery for spondylolisthesis (L5/S1).
I'm very concerned about the post surgery rehab over the first six weeks. If
anyone has undergone this procedure, please let me know what everyday tasks you were able to do...like..open doors, brush your teeth, showering, opening a milk bottle, putting on socks. Did anyone purchase a powerized recliner chiar to sleep in and avoid any stress on the surgicaly repaired area. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Also, has anyone tried "decompression therapy" for sciatica nerve damage (L5 root) prior to any invasive surgery.
Thanks pap5
pap5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap5 View Post
Hi, I'm about to have the above listed surgery for spondylolisthesis (L5/S1).
I'm very concerned about the post surgery rehab over the first six weeks. If
anyone has undergone this procedure, please let me know what everyday tasks you were able to do...like..open doors, brush your teeth, showering, opening a milk bottle, putting on socks. Did anyone purchase a powerized recliner chiar to sleep in and avoid any stress on the surgicaly repaired area. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Also, has anyone tried "decompression therapy" for sciatica nerve damage (L5 root) prior to any invasive surgery.
Thanks pap5
I have had experience with "Decompression" therapy in 1983, and as a result I was put into the Hospital "early". You have to understand that "sciatica" is caused by pressure on the root of the nerve bundle at the spinal area, and as a result, the sciatic nerve gets irritated, and you get pain down this nerve into your leg, and it can get very bad, therefore when a "Therapist" decompresses ( pushes down) on this sensitive area, it only makes things worse by applying more pressure on a nerve(s) that's already irritated. To make a long story short, "dont do it", but I found that a combination of Valium and aspirin eased the pain, although anything short of surgery probably wont work.................
jakejerry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote