Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cervical Spine Surgery: anybody with experience to help me?

Does anybody have experience with surgery for multi-level disc hernations in the cervical spine? What did you have done and how did it go? I have degenerative disc disease, disc bulging, disc-space narrowing, anterior/posterior osteophyte formation at all levels of the cervical spine. Symptoms are the usual tingling in face, back of neck, scalp, arms, hands and torso. Also possible tingling inside the mouth tied to irritation of the trigeminal nerve complex.

I have surgical consults coming up and would love any insights or guidance.

Dbrow
dbrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default c spine

I have the same problems with my c spine. Peripheral neuropathy all over. I have not had surgery but i am also very interested in hearing from someone who has had the experiance.

Best of luck, i know its no fun dealing with this.
Ladysheets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had cervical laminoplasty surgery this past Feb for cervical stenosis. It was to buy me an additional 3-5 years of neck flexibility but it did not take. This past Sept had a fusion of the c spine C2-T1. All hardware from the laminoplasty were removed and two rods were inserted into the shoulders with the spinal column screwed into the rods which now support my neck and head. The cervical stenosis became worse. A normal c spine is 10mm in size, mine had shrunk to 6mm and compressing the spinal cord, cause for the fusion.

It was the hope of the neurosurgeon that the fusion would bring a halt to continued spinal cord damage (myelopathy) and that there might be some improvement to symptoms. I still have difficulty walking which may be coming from lumbar stenosis at the L5 area. But one result from the fusion is an increase of loss of sensation from the waist down and now going up the back. I am at a loss if this is the result of the fusion or if something else is going on causing the numbness. I still have a follow up with the NS next week and hope will have some answer to this.

David
dtyree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had a cervical C5-C7 ACDF (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion) in 2006. Prior to the surgery I had major nerve pain down my left arm with numbness and tingling in my index and middle fingers. Even though I continue to have other spine problems, the ACDF was one of the easiest surgeries I've been through and gave fantastic results - even just as I awoke from surgery that nerve pain was gone!
kross426 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:22 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I also need advice on Cervical Spine cage Surgery..any advice or tips!

Have just had a recent consultation and have been advised that I need a cervical cage surgery BUT can't have it until my condition worsens! Have bad neck, soulder and pain, pins and needles numbness. I understand that the surgery does carry serious risk and is NOT carried out unless absolutely the last resort. However, my concern is that after a certain point the damage is permanant. When is the right time for surgery? I have been given an appoinment for 6 months ahead but need to contact them if there is any change. I know limb weakness and any change in bladder/bowel is a concern but is SO scary..waiting, knowing you will evetually have to have it done but not knowing how bad you have to be

Anyone with advice or that have already had thay surgery would be really good to hear from you

2hearts (new to group)
2hearts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrow View Post
Does anybody have experience with surgery for multi-level disc hernations in the cervical spine? What did you have done and how did it go? I have degenerative disc disease, disc bulging, disc-space narrowing, anterior/posterior osteophyte formation at all levels of the cervical spine. Symptoms are the usual tingling in face, back of neck, scalp, arms, hands and torso. Also possible tingling inside the mouth tied to irritation of the trigeminal nerve complex.

Dbrow
Hi I just had cervical decompression and fusion on c5-7. I am experiencing much weird headaches, numbness on and off, ears dull, eyes blurr. Dr says unrelated and now mri shows it still has spurs on cord and very narrow. So scared.Looking for new neurosurgeon in chicago area any help?
Giamarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrow View Post

Dbrow
Have the surgery! The surgery is not a big deal at all. My spinal fusion went very very well. I was home the next day and the post surgical pain was very easily handled with oral meds. It will give you lots of relief! Of course, I had one of the best neurosurgeons in the country. Be sure your surgeon is the very best and you'll be fine.
cathy claxton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had C3-6 fused in 05. I can't say it was easy, I was expecting worse. Since all that has stableized, I now have scoliosis, khyphosis, radiculopathy, osetophytes. Unrelated to that, L2-5 S1 is giving me pain.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy claxton View Post
Have the surgery! The surgery is not a big deal at all. My spinal fusion went very very well. I was home the next day and the post surgical pain was very easily handled with oral meds. It will give you lots of relief! Of course, I had one of the best neurosurgeons in the country. Be sure your surgeon is the very best and you'll be fine.
who is your surgeon?
tusu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:03 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I have had the cervial surgery

I have had two different surgery's now. First was 2 1/2 years ago, C6 & C7, the fusion didn't take very well my Dr said. We used my own hip bone because it is supposed to fuse better than using somebody else's bone. Well my hip is numb as you know what, you can put cold or hot on it and I couldn't tell you what temp it is.

I had another one done this past May for C5 & C6, and he said he would drill out what started to fuse from the 1st surgery....well I do have to say from both surgery's I am better but I still have massive numbness when I sleep, I can't put my head down for more than 30 seconds without it hurting really bad. I still have muscle spasms in my shoulders and still have pain in my elbows.

SOOOO do I say have surgery, well it depends on how much pain or how uncomfortable you are now. Just beware that you might have different systems after the surgery, so which is worse I ask myself. I say the symptoms before the surgery were worse.

I also have Fibro so that kicks my butt I have RLS which the pills do help with and my arms are so weak it drives me nuts.

My question now is because I have had savior nerve damage will surgery really take care of all my numbness??? NO it won't, that's my opinion.

I have had two Dr's only one has done both surgeries, i went to the second one for a second opinion before the 2nd surgery. He said he couldn't do anything for me, he was a NS, my actual surgery Dr is an Ortho; he is the best in my area.

But I really want to know is there anything else I can do? I'm only 39 and feel like I am 89.
Luci is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote