Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default surgical removal of lower left 2nd molar,? sore

Almost a month ago I had to have my 2nd molar removed by an oral surgeon due to a root crack. I had a real hard time dealing with this mentally but its done.

The socket is not closed up 100% but probably 95%. I was having trouble with my tounge twitching but that stopped about a week ago.

I have a small white sharp pc of bone or something on one side of the socket but that seems better too.

My ? is this, every once in awhile when biting on the 1st molar in front of the extracted 2nd molar it feels sore. I can eat pretzles etc no problems but something real firm like over cooked hard pasta in lasagana I will get a dull pain not a sharp nerve like pain more like pressure for a second.

Can this be due to me not eating on that side for the last 3 weeks or from the surgery of having the 2nd molar have to be cut out in pcs ??

I am scared to death that now I have another cracked tooth or something and I will loose this tooth.

The 1st molar has a very small cheak side filling but no top crown filling and I dont see any crack.
cvcman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Welcome to NT CVCMan. This is a great forum with lots of nice and caring members.

I hope you'll find the answer to your question soon and maybe even make some new friends in the process. Take care and feel better soon.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi cvcman,

It is not unusual for a tooth next to the extracted one to feel sore when chewing for the first 2-3 months after the surgery. The area has been traumatized by the surgery and also that tooth may have been used as an anchor to push up against with the surgical instrument when extracting the tooth behind it. So the soreness would be expected.

However, because it has been a month and there is still significant discomfort on that tooth when chewing hard things, it may be wise to not eat on it for a few more weeks if possible. The gum tissue may be closed over about 95% at this point but the jawbone will take several months to a year to fill in completely. So the surgical area still has a long way to go before it is healed.

If you develop a toothache in that first molar or if you are concerned that there may be a problem with it, then have your dentist take an xray to see if anything abnormal shows up. Chances are it is just tender from the surgery but to ease your mind, a quick visit to the dentist may be helpful to you.

Thanks for asking your question here..... hope my answer has been helpful to you! And welcome to our community...... please let us know how you are doing

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
Almost a month ago I had to have my 2nd molar removed by an oral surgeon due to a root crack. I had a real hard time dealing with this mentally but its done.

The socket is not closed up 100% but probably 95%. I was having trouble with my tounge twitching but that stopped about a week ago.

I have a small white sharp pc of bone or something on one side of the socket but that seems better too.

My ? is this, every once in awhile when biting on the 1st molar in front of the extracted 2nd molar it feels sore. I can eat pretzles etc no problems but something real firm like over cooked hard pasta in lasagana I will get a dull pain not a sharp nerve like pain more like pressure for a second.

Can this be due to me not eating on that side for the last 3 weeks or from the surgery of having the 2nd molar have to be cut out in pcs ??

I am scared to death that now I have another cracked tooth or something and I will loose this tooth.

The 1st molar has a very small cheak side filling but no top crown filling and I dont see any crack.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you, I sure hope you are right I sure do NOT want any other problems with the teeth !

Again its not a sharp pain but rather a firm pressure feeling with certin foods, pretzles are ok more like oatmeal pcs that are hard/firm etc. and then only sometimes.

I do grind and have been back to wearing a mouth guard. I stated that I was having tounge twitching probles that went away, now my left lower eyelid is twitching, related ??? Not constant..

Bryanna what is your med background ??

Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

There can be alot of referred pain in the mouth.

I just had a root canal yesterday, on an upper bicuspid, and my whole jaw hurts today on that side! (probably from keeping it open during the drilling etc). The gum where the anesthetic shots were done, also still hurts, but the vague pain over the broken tooth in the cheek is gone. I have a temp on it now, and go back in 2 weeks for the impressions for the crown.

I have had crowns that took several months to settle down (not all of them tho). Only 3 of my crowns have root canals.

My dentist tells me it is "referred" pain...and may be due to
deep tissue damage, or inflammation. He said there are proprioceptive nerves in the gum, and these may be irritated for a while. My first root canal took several months to stop hurting.(that tooth had been dying for several years due to another dentist's error in filling it too deeply). I have learned to be patient with tooth pain after procedures, because of that experience.

I use Aleve liquigels for the pain, and they works very well. The liquigels seem more effective than the tablets for some reason.
I learned that with my arthritis issues. I guess they are absorbed better and faster.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 10-20-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: fixing spelling.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Again, NO pain in tooth ony a pressure like dull pain if you will when biting certin things a certin way, not a sharp nerve like pain.

Otherwise tooth feels normal
Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 PM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi cvcman,

A dull pressure pain in that tooth may be from chewing on it without the support of the tooth behind it. In other words, this tooth is taking the brunt of your chewing with the other tooth gone. The area is still healing and the more you chew there, the more trauma you may be causing. It's like having a broken arm but still using it. The jawbone is (for lack of a better description) like a broken bone. There is a void/hole in the jawbone where the roots of the tooth use to be. The gum tissue closes long before the bone fills in. The hole in the bone takes several months to a year to fill in with new bone.

If the tooth continues to be uncomfortable even without chewing on it, then have the dentist take an xray of it.

To answer your other post......
I am a chairside dental assistant and dental radiographer. I've been in dentistry for 30+ years.......

Let us know if you have more questions......

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
Again, NO pain in tooth ony a pressure like dull pain if you will when biting certin things a certin way, not a sharp nerve like pain.

Otherwise tooth feels normal
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:16 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Bryanna,

Thank you. again there is ZERO pain and ZERO discomfort in the tooth when not biting on it and even when crunching a hard Dutch pretzle it seems of unless you wedge a hard pc of salt between the 1st molar and the tooth in front of it.

Only a very slight dull pressure SOMETIMES when biting something very firm like the hardened Lasagana and then only sometimes,otherwise you would never know the tooth is there.

I still feel slight pings of pain from the extraction hole.

Here are my ?'s

1) you feel then that it probably isnt a crack its more just needs to settle ?

again I see no signs of a crack in the crown and there is only a very small cheek side filling nothing in the crown.

2) the tounge twitching went away completly and it was happening everyday but now the eye on that side is twitching, related ??

3) should I try not to eat on that side at all and if so for how long ??

Thanks so much I am so gun shy now every little ping is going to send me to the Pshy ward,lol
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Opps also should I keep doing the salt rinse and if so for how long ??

Thx
Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

opps again, also what do I do about those white kinda sharp edges by the socket. They dont bother me just curious