Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Denture Adhesives experiences

Hi All,
Okay, so I'm on Day 15 of having my upper teeth removed and dentures put in. Now as I have to wait the 6 months for the hard align and 3 months for a soft, I am experimenting with denture adhesives...who knew at 49 I would be doing this, but although it IS a life altering decision to have this done, there is nothing to do but learn and find out what works...

1st adhesive trial- Seabond Wafers- I've been using these for over a week, although they are good, they left my mouth with this goopy saliva feeling. You have to cut the wafers to the shape of the plate and find out what works well and with swelling going down daily, the cut is always different. I felt okay with them, but not fully secure. would change them at least 3 times a day and eating, well the food would just gather......

2nd adhesive trial - Fixodent Food Control - I used that today for the 1st time- I felt ALOT better with it and even experienced a spaghetti and meatball lunch.... BUT I left that on for about 5 hours and had an 'air pocket' that felt like a huge soar bulge in the roof of my mouth and it hurt a tinge...I removed the dentures, which was difficult, but got it done and ICK...I spent 10 minutes getting this stuff off my dentures and gums...it was GROSS...but overall effective!

3rd adhesive trial - Cushion Grip Adhesive - found it at CVS after looking at it online and seems hard to find.....you heat up the tube in very hot water for about 5 minutes, then squeeze some onto the clean and dried plate of the dentures, then insert into mouth, front gums 1st, then push to roof of mouth and back and then bite down for about 4 min to adhere.....now I've only had it in for about 45 min, and I only put in a little amount, but it seems okay, very cushiony...lol...hence the name....supposedly it totes 4 days effectivness...we'll see about that.....I have no movement so far in the plate and the bite seems effective, in my plate I need more on the right side of the plate towards the front as I have rocking due to two lower teeth in the back missing. I do have some oozing from the back and it feels like paper, eewww...from the reviews some people just use this and some adhere with powder adhesive just a touch, we'll see how this works alone 1st and then I'll touch it with some adhesive to back it up and see how THAT works....

Hope my trials can help others as well. don't mind testing...gotta find that 'balance' at some point.
humarock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cushio Grip 'adhesive'

Okay, so THAT was strange and I can see how it would differ person to person, it is a glob of glue, and you heat it up, put it on the denture and spread it, it worked good for about the 1st hour, then the dentures dropped down, so I put adhesive on the top of it, that worked well, it was a good tight fit and eating was actually pleasant....but I was getting the 'thickness' on the back of the plate, so about 6 hours in I decided to take it out and it was SOOOO messy on my plate, I had to work to get it off, as it is toted to stay for 4 days....I put it in hot water, it didn't come off easy at all, so once I got MOST of it off my plate, my dentist will HATE me as he just made it smooth and polished it up after the adjustments and now it is a mess....
I went back to the fixodent and that seems to work okay, but today, I put them in with fixodent at around 8 a.m., buy 4 p.m. I was reapplying more as it was dissolving. and when it does that, as it is water soluble, it leaves a goopy mess in my mouth.....

I ordered Secure online and will try that, it totes 12 hour lasting power and not water soluble, I'll follow up once I receive it and get using it.

For now, i will use the fixodent and just figure out how much and where I need it most, but eating is PLEASANT with this adhesive as well, and I don't have the 'thickness' on the back of the plate!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Secure

SO, I ordered Secure online, order 3 tubes and get free shipping, so it came TODAY! I was sooo excited, it was sooo fast....so I put it in as directed and it seems really good right now, no goop coming out, no taste from it....let's see HOW LONG it holds in place.....we are going to a friends house for dinner tonight, childhood friend so if anything was to happen, no big deal! I am looking forward to it.....keep in mind, my situation is ever changing and we are all different! My dentures are too big for me and I know that, the swelling has really gone down, adjustments have been made as far as they can go at this point other than a soft align and that can't happen until 3 months so for now, I am working with the adhesives to get MY comfy fit, but thinking as I am having some issues, this will help others as well know what each product is like....hope it helps just one person.....
Old 01-30-2010, 04:41 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey humarock.... always good to hear from you!
Your posts about the trials of wearing a new denture are priceless here so please keep posting!

I know your dentist told you 3 months for a soft reline but if your gum tissue is shrinking that fast, then he may be able to do it sooner. Your dentures have to fit somewhat and cannot be too big. So if the adhesive is not working more times than it is working, talk to your dentist about doing that soft reline sooner.

Hope your dinner with friends is........perfect :-))

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by humarock View Post
SO, I ordered Secure online, order 3 tubes and get free shipping, so it came TODAY! I was sooo excited, it was sooo fast....so I put it in as directed and it seems really good right now, no goop coming out, no taste from it....let's see HOW LONG it holds in place.....we are going to a friends house for dinner tonight, childhood friend so if anything was to happen, no big deal! I am looking forward to it.....keep in mind, my situation is ever changing and we are all different! My dentures are too big for me and I know that, the swelling has really gone down, adjustments have been made as far as they can go at this point other than a soft align and that can't happen until 3 months so for now, I am working with the adhesives to get MY comfy fit, but thinking as I am having some issues, this will help others as well know what each product is like....hope it helps just one person.....
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Teeth what's up with Fixodent?

Greeting and thanks for a great thread. Recently I've read something somewhere that there are lawsuits out there because Fixodent has got zinc in it and that's bad for people. I don't know if its true I just read it. I'm hoping it isn't because Fixodent is my personal favorite, and I've tried many. I will futher investigate and let you know.
thatgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi thatgirl,

The lawsuits with regard to fixodent containing zinc are really happening. Small amounts of Zinc are a necessary mineral in our daily lives but it can also be toxic if too much is taken. Most people get their daily requirement of zinc from the foods they eat and others only need to supplement with a maximum of 10-30 mgs per day. Also, there are some people who cannot metabolize zinc very well making them even more prone to the toxicity of it.

Wearing a denture with adhesive that contains zinc means that you are absorbing some amount of the zinc through your palate into your blood stream for the duration of the time that you have the denture in your mouth. The more frequently you use it, the more you absorb. Some people overuse the adhesive and/or they digest what they cannot remove easily off of their palate which can quickly lead to toxic blood levels of zinc.

If you are using fixodent sparingly, removing it completely from your palate when you take the denture out and are not using it at bedtime, then you are probably not absorbing toxic levels of zinc. However, at your next medical physical when you have blood drawn, you could ask your MD to check your serum levels of zinc. This would give you the answer you are looking for.

Nice to have you here, hope to see you again!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl View Post
Greeting and thanks for a great thread. Recently I've read something somewhere that there are lawsuits out there because Fixodent has got zinc in it and that's bad for people. I don't know if its true I just read it. I'm hoping it isn't because Fixodent is my personal favorite, and I've tried many. I will futher investigate and let you know.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Thatgirl,

I hear you, I had done a post about that as I totally freaked when I saw it, brought back the stuff I bought, but THEN in search of a good adhesive tried Fixodent and loved it, BUT still worried about the zinc issue. So here are my trials with others....lol...it is fun, but takes patience....hope it helps.....

Keep posting, would love to see how others too use their adhesives!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SECURE adhesive....WOW WINNER!

OKAY! So i ordered it online on Thurs and got it on Sat, sooo excited as the I greeted the fedex guy (who the HECK would be excited about getting denture adhesive right?)....so I ran in the bathroom and read the directions, which are beyond simple and put it in, that was at 10 a.m.....we had plans for dinner with friends that night, so this is coming at a good time, so I figure, I'll take them out, clean em up and reapply....LOL...WOW, they call is SECURE Denture bonding cream for a REASON! I had to carefully pull them out, but finally got them out, soaked them while I took a shower in efferdent, came out cleaned them up, used a little less cream and wow did they fit nice....I had garlic bread, lasagna, shrimp cocktails, deviled eggs....and by the 6th hour, they felt great, only thing is I got something caught up in the bottome of the plate (remember my dentures are too big at this point and I have to wait for a realign so making do for now)...but man, it is now 5:35 a.m. (yes I went to sleep...lol) and I just took them out and it was STILL bonded which was AWESOME!

THIS will be a product that I WILL continue to use...NO ZINC..non water soluable so no 'dripping down your throat' feeling, you know that goopy oozy, yucky taste...and NO TASTE from it either.......and it can be used for LOWERS and I would imagine it would be FABULOUS for the lowers as it is so secure! I ordered 3 tubes and it was free fast shipping.....

EATING was soooo easy with these, I still have sore gums at my eye teeth, but with this I didn't feel it....so....thinking my trials are DONE! LOL....

I have 5 days before I return to work and talk my face off, so I'm glad to have found this product!

Last edited by humarock; 01-31-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:54 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,

Thanks, I know it sounds crazy, but loving testing all these products...LOL...SECURE by far is THE BEST...that Cushion Grip made a mess out of the plate and made it rough, which naturally feels like something is stuck on it, I will stop by the dentists office on Tues to have him smooth and polish it to get it off....I really hand it to the folks in the lab that make these prostetics, it is absolutley amazing! The detail on each tooth is CRAZY! LOl..

Thank you for your kind words and your guidance.
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hey humarock.... always good to hear from you!
Your posts about the trials of wearing a new denture are priceless here so please keep posting!

I know your dentist told you 3 months for a soft reline but if your gum tissue is shrinking that fast, then he may be able to do it sooner. Your dentures have to fit somewhat and cannot be too big. So if the adhesive is not working more times than it is working, talk to your dentist about doing that soft reline sooner.

Hope your dinner with friends is........perfect :-))

Bryanna
Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My final thought....

So, after trying them all this is what I found MOST comfortable for me....
Seabond Adhesive Wafers---I will use these when I am around the house, you know those days that I know I want to be able to clean or adjust my dentures quickly....

Secure Denture Bonding Cream---I will use this for days at work, or out with others that I know I won't be taking them out to clean or adjust....my 'long days'....GREAT hold, NO Taste or GOOPY feeling and NO zinc.....

For cleaning the Secure, Efferdent cleaner, soaking for about 10 min., while showering.....

So many products, so little time....so again, hope this helps anyone out there and save you some $$$ from trying them all...LOL...AND if anyone has found anything else out there, would LOVE to hear what you have found.

I hope all have a GREAT day and ENJOY THAT SMILE! WORK IT!
K
"Thanks for this!" says:
newhorizon (02-19-2010)