Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Looking for your help

Greetings - I am 49 years old - born with spina bifida occulta and developed scoliosis at age 11 - no significant problems until 3 years ago. I sarted having seriod injections to help with entire left leg pain - then was referred to a neurosurgeon - after 2 spine surgeries, within 6 months, to remove bone (L2,3,5 then 5 again) to release pressure he thought was causing the pain a different doctor noted that my entire left hip was dislocated, probably happening over the three year period. Now he is thinking I need a total spinal fusion then a hip replacement. I need to know the best doctor to do the surgery - the stats on my current neurogurgeons and the referrals to scool buddies are not good.

who should I work with, I have a very complex spine?

thank you for any advise. Laurie
Laurie Montgomery is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-13-2010, 06:50 PM #2
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Hi Laurie and welcome to NT!

I am so sorry for all that you have suffered. I'm afraid that I can't answer your back surgery questions, but I'm sure other members will weigh in with helpful advice.

In the meantime, please make yourself at home. I see you've found the Spinal Disorders and Back Pain forum. If you need any help navigating the rest of the board, please let us know.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Laurie Montgomery (02-13-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default hi there

Hi Sweetie!

I'm out here looking too! We'll find the answer eventually!!

Hugs, Rose:
rosenkazoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Laurie ~ This sounds AWFULLY drastic! If I were you, I would definitely get at LEAST two and possibly three other opinions. Having your complete spiine fused is a horrendous and drastic operation. Plus having a total hip replacement??? Good grief. I'd want to make sure that this is absolutely necessary before I had it done. PLEASE ~ get other independent opinions. Being fused from top to bottom isn't going to be fun, believe me.

God bless, and please keep us posted, ok??? Peace, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default spine doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Montgomery View Post
Greetings - I am 49 years old - born with spina bifida occulta and developed scoliosis at age 11 - no significant problems until 3 years ago. I sarted having seriod injections to help with entire left leg pain - then was referred to a neurosurgeon - after 2 spine surgeries, within 6 months, to remove bone (L2,3,5 then 5 again) to release pressure he thought was causing the pain a different doctor noted that my entire left hip was dislocated, probably happening over the three year period. Now he is thinking I need a total spinal fusion then a hip replacement. I need to know the best doctor to do the surgery - the stats on my current neurogurgeons and the referrals to scool buddies are not good.

who should I work with, I have a very complex spine?

thank you for any advise. Laurie
I don't know whre you live to give a doc referral. Let us know where you are. I went to The spine doc in Indianapolis Indiana. This is the guy who puts the race car drivers back together. Let me know if you are in the area
ibjustwrite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote