Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:50 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Seeing PM Dr. 2mrw: need help C-MRI results

Hello everyone. This is my first post, but probably not my last. I have had craniocervical/segmental dystonia for the past 16 years, idiopathic. I have been on the train to nowhere trying to find help for my severe neck, head, shoulder, arm, low back, and now severe sciatica that has prevented me from moving my toes on one foot for 6 months. I am trying a new PM clinic, and just received the MRI results the Dr. will review tomorrow, and would like a little knowledge before I walk in. If anyone is knowlegable about MRI terminology, I would appreciate any help!
My latest Report gives very few details beyond the basics:

FINDINGS: Alignment is normal. Bone marrow signal intensity is
unremarkable. Disc height is maintained. Disc signal intensity is
normal for age. The cerebellar tonsils and craniocervical
junction appear normal. The cervical spinal cord appears normal
except as described below:

C2-3: Normal.

C3-4: Small broad-based central and bilateral paracentral disc
protrusion with subtle flattening of the thecal sac and cord. No
stenosis.

C4-5: Small broad-based central and bilateral paracentral disc
protrusion. Flattening of thecal sac and cord. AP sac
approximately 9 mm.

C5-6: Minimal diffuse annular bulge/spur with slight flattening
of the thecal sac and cord. Mild left facet hypertrophy. No
stenosis.

C6-7: Small bulge/spur. Mild right foraminal narrowing due to
uncinate spur.

C7-T1: Normal.

IMPRESSION:
1. Degenerative changes as above.
I was puzzled that the reader did not both to include where the thecal sac and cord are flattened and what the cause is. I assume from the writing style that nothing is amiss. Am I correct? Friends say that I should not ignore thecal compression problems. my neck pain is so severe I get vertigo, and my lumbar spine is similar, so I wonder if that is the cause of my paralyzed toes. I don't want to let this go to long if there is a problem, but the MRI doctors don't provide much information.
I have seen so many knowledgable people hear and I hope you will take a moment or two to edify me. After 16 years of relentless pain, I am looking for anyway I can become more productive. Many Thanks, Mom to JRC
jrcmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcmom View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first post, but probably not my last. I have had craniocervical/segmental dystonia for the past 16 years, idiopathic. I have been on the train to nowhere trying to find help for my severe neck, head, shoulder, arm, low back, and now severe sciatica that has prevented me from moving my toes on one foot for 6 months. I am trying a new PM clinic, and just received the MRI results the Dr. will review tomorrow, and would like a little knowledge before I walk in. If anyone is knowlegable about MRI terminology, I would appreciate any help!
My latest Report gives very few details beyond the basics:

FINDINGS: Alignment is normal. Bone marrow signal intensity is
unremarkable. Disc height is maintained. Disc signal intensity is
normal for age. The cerebellar tonsils and craniocervical
junction appear normal. The cervical spinal cord appears normal
except as described below:

C2-3: Normal.

C3-4: Small broad-based central and bilateral paracentral disc
protrusion
with subtle flattening of the thecal sac and cord. No
stenosis.

C4-5: Small broad-based central and bilateral paracentral disc
protrusion. Flattening of thecal sac and cord. AP sac
approximately 9 mm.

C5-6: Minimal diffuse annular bulge/spur with slight flattening
of the thecal sac and cord
. Mild left facet hypertrophy. No
stenosis.

C6-7: Small bulge/spur. Mild right foraminal narrowing due to
uncinate spur.

C7-T1: Normal.

IMPRESSION:
1. Degenerative changes as above.
I was puzzled that the reader did not both to include where the thecal sac and cord are flattened and what the cause is. I assume from the writing style that nothing is amiss. Am I correct? Friends say that I should not ignore thecal compression problems. my neck pain is so severe I get vertigo, and my lumbar spine is similar, so I wonder if that is the cause of my paralyzed toes. I don't want to let this go to long if there is a problem, but the MRI doctors don't provide much information.
I have seen so many knowledgable people hear and I hope you will take a moment or two to edify me. After 16 years of relentless pain, I am looking for anyway I can become more productive. Many Thanks, Mom to JRC

I bolded the key words , if I had more time I'd search them for you , but those are the terms to look up.

you can look them up here-
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ Bless your heart. I'm so sorry to hear of your pain. I know how it is as I've been fighting this for 24 years.

You've got several bulges and no herniations, plus some bone spurs, but what I don't like is the flattening of the spinal cord! These must be HUGE bulges to come in contact with the cord without herniating! No wonder you're in such pain. If I'm not mistaken, the foramen is an opening where spinal nerves come out. That's narrowed.

Plus you have SCIATICA and you can't move your toes????? Good grief!!! Have you seen a Neurosurgeon?? I certainly hope so, but if not please have your doc refer you to one ASAP. I surely do NOT advocate surgery as a cure for pain because it does NOT work all the time, but you have some mechanical problems that may cause permanent damage.

Best of luck, and please let us know how you come out, ok? God bless. Peace, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote