Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default The NUBRELLA

Hi All!!!

Don't know if any of you have seen this nifty new umbrella thing.

I first saw it on the show Shark Tank. My husband was watching and started screaming "melody, someone invented the umbrella you are always talking about".

I usually say (when I go out in the rain), "Oh, this darn umbrella always turns inside out, and breaks).

So I went into the tv room and there indeed was what I had always wanted.

This guy invented this bubble kind of umbrella that you put on AND KEEPS YOUR HANDS FREE.

Take a look

http://nubrella.com/

I even went to youtube and they have videos of it.

It seems like the answer to a dream (even if my neighbors might thing I'm an alien). It's $50 on the website, but ebay has it for $29.99 (advanced orders).

I'm curious as to how all of you view this nifty invention.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (03-17-2010), Darlene (03-17-2010), Jaime_S (03-18-2010), karousel (03-17-2010)

advertisement
Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 AM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

It's definitely interesting, Mel. My first reaction is to wonder how it folds up and how cumbersome or inconvenient it would be to carry & stow when not in use.

Second, I wonder whether it will fog up being that it's nearly an enclosure.

Third, what will the clarity be when it has been used & handled awhile, will it get scratched and clouded over time?

Next, does it attach to the user somehow? Heavy winds could certainly scoop it up and send it sailing.

My niece lives & commutes in Manhattan and she has a vented umbrella that lets the wind pass through. She swears by it (and it's a darned good thing because Auntie paid for it $$$$).

My time in the rain is typically during times of recreation and I just wear a rain suit and take my lumps in the cosmetic department. Conversely, I can see how this might appeal to urban commuters who train/cab/bus & walk in all weather.

When are you getting one and will you video tape your experiments?

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
It's definitely interesting, Mel. My first reaction is to wonder how it folds up and how cumbersome or inconvenient it would be to carry & stow when not in use.

Second, I wonder whether it will fog up being that it's nearly an enclosure.

Third, what will the clarity be when it has been used & handled awhile, will it get scratched and clouded over time?

Next, does it attach to the user somehow? Heavy winds could certainly scoop it up and send it sailing.

My niece lives & commutes in Manhattan and she has a vented umbrella that lets the wind pass through. She swears by it (and it's a darned good thing because Auntie paid for it $$$$).

My time in the rain is typically during times of recreation and I just wear a rain suit and take my lumps in the cosmetic department. Conversely, I can see how this might appeal to urban commuters who train/cab/bus & walk in all weather.

When are you getting one and will you video tape your experiments?

Well, I don't know when I'll get one, BUT I'LL GET ONE.

And you ask how it attaches to the body? When you put it on, (you open it up by pushing a button), once it's open, you place it on your shoulders. It has two straps (like over the shoulder seat belts (there is a video on the internet that shows the whole thing).

You can hold it in front of you OR you can take the two side belts and attach it to the front thing (exactly like a baby in a stroller with the two things attached to the middle thing so the baby can't get out.

When you hook yourself up in this contraption, it's not going anywhere. And the inventor said "It doesn't fog up, the rain might bead up a little bit but we use a special material that prevents this. It's clear sailing".

So for me, the minute I save up for it, I'll buy it. I will then learn how to wear it, I will then use it, And if one neighbor calls me nuts, I shall look at her and say "but you're wet and I'm not, and I can use my hands" I LOVE LOOKING AT PEOPLE, SMILING SWEETLY AND PUTTING THEM IN THEIR PLACE.

AND THEN I'LL MAKE A VIDEO

And we'll all have a laugh.

I might be holding my sprouts when I do this.

lol lol lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

That's pretty cool and would work for some.

For me: It doesn't rain enough to justify the cost. I'm slightly claustrophobic - no wait I am majorly claustrophobic, and I just can't see putting that over my head. And I am not stable on my feet all the time and as I looked at this I couldn't figure out how it would work if I fell. I looks like you put your head through a hole but with falling would that cut in to your neck? Give you whiplash as your head would have nothing to "hit" and/or would one of the spokes end up breaking and you end with a cut? OK I see too many safety hazards with this for one who is not stable on their feet all the time.

Let us know how it works for you.

Last edited by tkrik; 03-17-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: can't spell
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 PM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrik View Post
That's pretty cool and would work for some.

For me: It doesn't rain enough to justify the cost. I'm slightly claustrophobic - no wait I am majorly claustrophobic, and I just can't see putting that over my head. And I am not stable on my feet all the time and as I looked at this I couldn't figure out how it would work if I fell. I looks like you put your head through a hole but with falling would that cut in to your neck? Give you whiplash as your head would have nothing to "hit" and/or would one of the spokes end up breaking and you end with a cut? OK I see too many safety hazards with this for one who is not stable on their feet all the time.

Let us know how it works for you.
It reminds me of the bubble umbrella I had 40 years ago. God, I loved that umbrella. It was like having your own personal little bubble.

This thing just opens up, you put it over your shoulders and it secures via two shoulder straps and two straps on either side.

But you are indeed correct. If one is no stable on their feet, they would look like an alien rolling around on the ground.

Speaking of balance and stability, guess what I bought the other day.

A balance board, otherwise known as a wobble board.

Best thing I ever did.

I don't have any balance problems and I don't want any balance problems.

I just get on this thing and go from side to side and front to back. I watched a video on youtube of people on balance boards and I said "heck give it a try".

Of course my husband can't ever go on this thing. His balance is not as good as mine.

I even went on one foot and had no problem. It did take some doing but I had to try. And I did it. Not saying I go on one foot all the time. But it's a start. I just stand on it and go from left to right and front to back and I can even turn around on it.

These balance things are really cool.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
tkrik (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Not sure I could do the balance board. I have seen them and look at them cautiously. LOL I'd have to do it with something to hang on to close by.

I am sure they work great for balance training, strengthening the core muscles. You'll have to give us an update after using it for a bit.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

I think it is fascinating.... maybe going to get one for the boat!

I wonder about wind... going to show to hubby for sure!

I don't think it is that expensive either!

Thanks Mel.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I think it is fascinating.... maybe going to get one for the boat!

I wonder about wind... going to show to hubby for sure!

I don't think it is that expensive either!

Thanks Mel.
No problem. I had to read your post twice because I wasn't sure if you were referring to the nubrella or the balance board I was talking about.

when you said WIND, I said "aha, she's talking about the nubrella".

When the price goes down a bit, I'm getting one. I mean, WE ALL NEED UMBRELLAS, so why not get one that is hands free.

I'm sure copycats will come along soon also.

melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
tkrik (03-22-2010)