Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default All new docs?

I'm sooooo frustrated, I need to vent some where. Went to see the PCP last week. Got his PA, and I really like him. So I mentioned that while I hurt all over, I tend to blame most of it on my spine issues. He asked some questions, then said there was a good chance it was Fibro. Huh! Never gave that a thought, but it could be. Asked for, and got, a referral to a new spine doc, some MRIs are in order, and this spine doc is excellent.

So about an hour later, had an appt. with my pain doc. Told her what the PA said, she says, I have difuse arthritis. I said I have scoliosis, she says that doesn't hurt. I say khyphosis, and radicuopathy, she says she has that too, lets do the Botox again. Because of my job, I can't do narcotic pain type relief, and can't tolerate the Lyrica type meds. She is not much help in suggesting ANY thing.

AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

So now what. Who to believe? What to do? For starters, I'm going to fire that pain doc, I almost fell off the chair when she said scoliosis doesn't hurt.

Here I thought I had a good "team" working for me. I feel like I'm up the creek without my paddle. Any ideas?

advertisement
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm sorry, but I think she's wrong. Scoliosis CAN hurt if it's severe enough. It only makes sense! If your spine is "bent" out of shape, and impinging on nerves why wouldn't it hurt??? How does SHE know it doesn't hurt? Why wouldn't it? Personally, I think you should hang onto your pain doc and fire HER. I think she's nuts! LOL.

I'm going to look up scoliosis and do some research. I'll let you know what I find out about pain. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ me again. I just went to PubMed, and there are a WHOLE BUNCH of articles about surgery done for scoliosis on patients with lumbar problems & PAIN. This PubMed is from the US National Library of Medicine, so I'm sure they know what they're talking about. LOL. Again, I think you oughta keep your pain doc. Best of luck and God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh yeah, I'm going to fire the pain doc. The spine guy I'm going to see specializes in scoli. surgery! I know it hurts! I don't have a bad curve, but I go to a back pain/scoliosis support group, and you can see the pain in some of their faces.

Its the PA I'm going to keep, and investigate the fibro issue further. Knowing me, I probably do have it, just one more thing to add to my list of ailments, LOL!

I just needed to vent, and thank you for your research. I'll check it out.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:19 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemom View Post
Oh yeah, I'm going to fire the pain doc. The spine guy I'm going to see specializes in scoli. surgery! I know it hurts! I don't have a bad curve, but I go to a back pain/scoliosis support group, and you can see the pain in some of their faces.

Its the PA I'm going to keep, and investigate the fibro issue further. Knowing me, I probably do have it, just one more thing to add to my list of ailments, LOL!

I just needed to vent, and thank you for your research. I'll check it out.
PLEASE check out the research on Vitamin D def. and fibro.! Also, if you end up with surgery, you need to go into it with optimal nutritional status!
pabb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote