Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tips for kicking procrastination to the curb

I have a huge multi week project that has me totally ovewhelmed. I know I will feel like a new woman once it is done, but I just can't get moving. Part of the problem is I will have three people undoing my progress faster than I can make said progress. I'm not going to give them my gonna change speach again. They are as sick of hearing it as I am of saying it.

Any tips for motivating self all alone? Maybe what I should really be asking for is tips to stay motivated when my progress gets trashed faster than I progressed. Oh yeah. Keeping me from going back to my old habits will be a challenge too. No wonder I give up before I even start.

12/02- health world implodes, 11/05- Raynaud's (Brr!), 2/07- celiac, 3/07- gluten free diet

I will survive.
JustWeave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

To get motivated sometimes you just have to tell yourself how much better you will feel & it will look, once it's done. My bathtub is stained but lots better when I bought some CLR to use on it & then I washed the floor. Earlier I got down on my hands & knees & scrubed the kitchen floor with amonia & water. It had 'ground in' grime in some areas. I don't know when it was last cleaned like that. It makes me feel good to see it.
lor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I just remembered I have been proprastinating writing a letter to the newspaper for where ppl write in & voice their opinions. Our city is complaining about garbage pick up cuz they are adding taxes on it. They skipped picking up our garbage & I had to call them several times. Also they never replaced our temp. can & it's falling apart. LOL I'm writing to you guys bout my troubles I realized. I'll get going on my letter. I'm now encouraged.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

For me the most successful motivating trick ( I also use it for learning a new task) is visualization exercises at night before bed.

I visualize the task, and if it is complex I use steps in how to begin, and how to do it, and visualize the successful completion.

This spring I used this for my complex seed starting, and now I get to see how well it worked. I was rather stymied during the winter... and the only way I could do it was by visualizing it.

I know some people are not mentally visual. So this may not work for them. The word thinkers may have to write it out and read it aloud to themselves. But for those who see images in their mind's eye, visualization works wonders! It has never failed me.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 04-12-2010 at 02:41 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:27 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

mrsD, I visualize too. Sometimes I lay in bed visualising & I can't get to sleep.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Get a dumpster if you need motivation to clean up around the house. I got one and cleared the basement, garage and shed before anyone even knew what was happening. LOL
Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the tips. I've been seeing the project done, and the fun I could be having, for a few weeks now. I think that is one reason why the project aggravates me like it does. I want to have fun, and the project is holding me back.

12/02- health world implodes, 11/05- Raynaud's (Brr!), 2/07- celiac, 3/07- gluten free diet

I will survive.
JustWeave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote