Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 03:01 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face omg - my MRI results.. please help! low back pain -- what does it mean!!

yea... apparently my DR is too busy -- she said she didnt get the results yet... aint that crazy -- especially since I was able to pick up my results hours ago !! so please.. help... b/c i DOUBT my dr will call me today... so another weekend of hellish pain..
UGH!!

so here are the results...

Findings:
There is no marrow edema. There is disc desiccation at L5 through S1 without loss of intervertebral disc space height. The conus is located at T12-L1 and is unremarkable. Parasagittal STIR imaging demonstrates no ligamentous disruption and no paraspinous muscle edema.

At L5-S1 there is a minimal broad-based disc protrusion. There is minimal facet hypertrophy. There is no central canal stenosis and no neural foraminal narrowing.

At L4-5 there is a tiny annular tear. There is a minimal broad-based disc protrusion. There is a small amount of fluid in bilateral facet joints. The pedicles are somewhat short. There is no frank central canal stenosis and no neural foraminal narrowing.

T12 through L4 are unremarkable.

IMPRESSION

1. Mild degenerative changes at L4 through S1

2. No central canal stenosis, no neural foraminal narrowing

3. There is a minimal amount of fluid in bilateral facet joints at L4-5. This can be symptomatic in and of itself.
jenny8675309 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can't help explain your MRI as I'm searching to understand mine a bit, too. What type of doctor ordered the MRI for you - primary care, physiatrist or orthopedic? Has the doctor suggested a cortisone shot? They can do this into the facet joints of L4/5 which might help reduce your pain.
Sheri_TOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Actually, as Lumbar MRI's go--

--this one is relatively "normal"--there are no obvious "smoking guns" for your pain, as the disc bulges--very common as we get older, BTW--to not (yet) seem to be encroaching on your spinal cord or on the nerve roots adjacent to the cord, which might happen if there were some foraminal narrowing (the foramen are the openings the nerve roots pass through on their way to other body parts as they leave the spine).

The pressure from the fluid in the facet joints may well be enough to cause symptoms, though--what kind of symptoms do you have? Do they feel more neural (burning, tingling, electrical) or more nociceptive (achy, pressured)?
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

MY PRIMARY CARE... WHICH SHE HAPPENS TO BE A NURSE PRACTIONER.

AND I STILL HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING... one of the nurses left a message saying that they havent received the final report yet... that seems crazy b/c i obviously have a copy!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've been keeping a list of how I've been feeling.. so here are some of my symptoms:

1. intense low back pain
2. headache that ranges from a 2 - 10!!
3. throbbing pain (comes and goes) & pin pricking feeling in my right leg (I have NUMBNESS & TINGLING in my leg)
4. top of back to mid back is very tender to touch. when touched, my back starts to throb.
5. pain on right side of neck, hurts when tilted to that side; neck is stiff.
6. shoulders ache, very tender to the touch.
7. toes/feet/hands freezing (w/ socks & shoes on)
8. exhaustion
Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Was your MRI for low back only ?
Sounds like you are having some upper back & shoulder symptoms also.

[2. headache that ranges from a 2 - 10!!
4. top of back to mid back is very tender to touch. when touched, my back starts to throb.
5. pain on right side of neck, hurts when tilted to that side; neck is stiff.
6. shoulders ache, very tender to the touch. ]

Do/Did you have a repetitive job or hobbies, or a whiplash type accident?
The symptoms I listed above could be due to that.

A MRI for C & upper T spine might help to rule in or out if those symptoms are spinal or not.

Or you could be having severe spasms due to some alignment issues.
Have you considered a expert chiropractor?
Now that you know nothing majorly serious is going on in the LB - possibly a evaluation by a good well rounded chiro??
Take the report along..

How did your symptoms came about some accident or slowly over time?

Have you ever been in any accident, sports hit , falls - anything that might have misaligned you in the past? sometimes it doesn't take much of a hit.

Have you had any PT therapy for any of your symptoms yet?

My chiro does PT modalities as well a adjustments and the C1/c2
adjustments.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Request a disco gram

+Hi I have been fighting a back injury since July 2005 due to a work injury. I first went to my own doctors one was in the top 5 neurosurgeons in Oklahoma and both said I had to have surgery after reviewing my MRI and a very painful discogram and nerve test because my disc had no shell and the fluid was leaking all over.
I then decided to go the federal worker compensation route and after 2 years finally found a doc that accepts fed cases. I got another MRI and he said I had nothing wrong and that the 2 surgeons I saw 2 yrs earlier were a joke and just wanted to cut me open.

I asked where was all my pain coming from and why are 2 of the disc in the MRI deflated and wrinkeled and he said that was normal wear and tear(I was 30 at this time and 28 when I first found out)??? I said I am awful young for normal wear and tear I want a discogram. The doc stated that it was a very painful procedure but if I wanted it and he would do it but was 100% sure I was just fine and I was making the pain up.
Anyway he did the discogram and apologized for not believing me because the surgeon could not even get a needle to stay in or around my disc due to the nucleus being spread out and having no protection to hold it in. I was to have surgery April 20, 2010 and 30 mins before surgery Comp cancelled because not all procedures were approved so I am still in severe pain and raising 2 kids alone.

I have been off work as a TTD since September 2010 because I could not stand to get out of bed and walk the long distance into my shop and was taking off at least 3 days a week because of pain and about to get fired. I am now waiting for the comp people to reapprove my surgery so I can hopefully feel better but I will not ever be the same because it has taken so long to have the surgery. The last five years I have had no feeling in my right buttock to my foot and while working I would come home cook a quick meal for kids and stretch out to relieve my back.

I was in a severe depression for a year(thank god for friends that cared to save me). I have missed over five years of my kids lives and getting to do things with them that I won't ever get to do again since my son is now 14 and my daughter is 10. Within the last year I have had lost feeling in half of my left buttock, I am having to use a catherdere to urinate when having a bad flare up because that area of nerves are damaged, I have had severe hip joint pain in my left hip and of course sex is not even an option anymore and has been a huge burden for the last 3 years.
I feel like I am 80 yrs old and I miss dancing, going on walks with my kids, being happy (even though I think I do pretty good at staying positive), I hate telling my kids we can't because I hurt to bad today or it's take care of yourself because I can't stand up to cook and I could go on and on. I hate all the meds I take for pain and to just function and keep my spirits up. I hardly ever took anything stronger than Aleve before this back problem. I hate the way the pain meds and pain have changed me and my personality I hate that I am a grouch. I am a very happy positive person in real life but no in this nightmare. I would not wish any of this on my worst enemy!!!
So I beg you please ask for a disco gram if you are truly hurting because that will show them that there is something wrong and where it is coming from it may be painful but at least you can take precautions to get things taken care of. If I could turn back the clock I would have not ever claimed comp until after having the surgery and would have let my insurance fight this war. Good luck!!!
STICKERWEED1976 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
degenerative disc disease, disc disease, fibromyalgia