advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 08:01 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Food for thought over blackcurrants

Food for thought over blackcurrants
Are blackcurrants edible superstars? Tim Cronshaw investigates.

Stuff.co.nz (New Zealand)
The Press | Wednesday, 31 January 2007
http://www.stuff.co.nz/3945598a19716.html

Blackcurrant grower Dave Eder had a mate with Parkinson's disease who could not write his name and shuffled unsteadily on his feet.

After taking blackcurrant-extract pills for 18 months, he could write legibly and walk without a problem.

"He's cleared to fly and can travel anywhere in the world," says Eder, a Canterbury grower who will expand his operation to 283 hectares this year and whose family is part owner of Just the Berries.

"He's normal. He can do the things he could do before he got Parkinson's."

A miracle cure? Smoke and mirrors or a scientifically explainable discovery that will change the lives of people for ever?

Time will tell, with scientific research yet to authenticate the result.

The pills, produced by Just the Berries, are 20 per cent anthocyanin, the anti-oxidant that gives the berry its dark colouring.

Just the Berries is spending millions of dollars on blackcurrant research and development and has offices in Tokyo and Los Angeles.

Eder says other Parkinson's sufferers taking the pills are steadily improving.

"Scientists are saying `That's impossible', because when a neuron dies, it dies for ever.

"What we believe is happening, and there is evidence in rat trials, is that new neurons are being created in the brain akin to a brain cell.

"We are creating new brain cells. That's the only explanation because they are getting better on it." [/B]

Armed with a file of research, the blackcurrant industry is itching to let consumers know that the super fruit not only tastes good, but can improve human "wellness".

In blackcurrants, as in other fruit, there are macronutrients such as sugars and fibre, and micronutrients such as vitamins and minerals and non-nutritive compounds.

These compounds are not part of the food product, but are associated with the health-giving benefits.

Mostly, these compounds are antioxidants and most of them are anthocyanins, which give the fruit its red and purple colour.

They help to shield the fruit from pests and diseases, and scientists are looking at how their protective qualities can be crossed over to human health.

Research suggests that the currants may play a role in protecting people from inflammation-associated cardiovascular disorders, neurodegeneration and cancer, as well as offering anti-ageing benefits.

Other studies have found that the micronutrient content of dark berries such as blackcurrants includes high levels of vitamin C and folic acid.

HortResearch's food and health business leader, Karl Crawford, does not discount the possibility that blackcurrants might one day help people with neurodegeneration diseases.

However, most of the research at present is aimed at human wellness and functional foods, he says.

"Most of the work has been done for berry fruit in blueberries by Jim Joseph, of Tufts University in the United States.

He has done a lot of work, principally with rats.

He has fed blueberries to aged rats, which has shown improvements in their ability to remember where their food is and co-ordination to see whether their mental faculties are failing.

The tie is that the same kinds of ingredients that are in blueberries are in blackcurrants, so berry fruit has this kind of halo.

"What happens when you get Alzheimer's is not well understood. One reasonably well-supported theory is that Alzheimer's disease is an oxidated stress in the brain and the cause of the oxidated stress is an amyloid beta plaque (a protein).

"HortResearch has shown that blackcurrants can protect neuronal cells from this particular amyloid.

"That is in the lab and not (tested) in people, so we are not saying blackcurrants can prevent Alzheimer's. We are not at that stage, but there are some interesting indications."

The laboratory work was performed at Auckland's Mount Albert Research Centre. Anthocyanin was shown to defend human brain cells against stress and damage associated with neurological decline.

Crawford says as scientists learn more about the disease process, they are finding more about the way fruit can impact on its prevention.

"There is a big gap between eating food that is good for you and our knowledge why. We don't believe it is reasonable to expect that food will treat diseases, but it does have a role in keeping you well.

"There is room for both views. It's not that fruit won't treat diseases, it's that our (research) focus is on keeping people well."

His HortResearch colleague, foods for health science leader Dr Margot Skinner, agrees that the line is blurred.

She has led the development of bioassays (experiments that use living things to test the toxicity of chemicals) in antioxidants, inflammation, immune support, gut health, and mental-health performance and feeding trials to develop new functional foods.

"We are starting to understand how berries can help combat the oxidated stress involved in degenerative diseases and ageing.

"Berries have high levels of anthocyanin and these are known to combat oxidated stress," she says.

It is unknown whether eating the currants may prevent skin from wrinkling, but Japanese research is looking at the role of the fruit in improving blood circulation and its relationship with skin ageing, she says.

"Certainly, people are starting to talk about beauty within. You can eat something, and that might well improve the appearance of your skin.

"People are starting to talk about that, but the jury is still out."

No human trials are scheduled yet on cognitive decline, but one is planned next year to look at cultivars which are best for gut health.

A GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) blackcurrant consultant, Barrie Abernethy, says the company is not prepared to "fly the flag high yet" until science has validated some of the claims.

About one-third of New Zealand's crop goes to producing Ribena, the blackcurrant-flavoured-juice brand owned by GSK.

In the meantime, the company is supporting HortResearch to find out more about the potential of blackcurrant, says Abernethy, who oversees crop quality from its 30 contracted growers.

"We think solar energy has some part to play in producing a flavour that is a bit unique. We know our varieties are high in antioxidants and other health-related benefits."

Japan is leading the research as a producer of functional foods for a population concerned about stress and feeling well.

Food company Meiji Seika has increased blackcurrant ingredients in its confectionary lines and has built up a research centre to uncover more about the fruit's qualities.

The company began to buy New Zealand blackcurrants after finding they were two to three times higher in antioxidants.

Blackcurrant-based products are being marketed as aids to improve vision and to make the eyes look more beautiful.

Dark circles around the eyes are being reduced by using polyphenol from blackcurrants to help improve blood circulation.

Other research in Japan has shown that taking a blackcurrant extract orally has a beneficial effect on the skin and may reduce sun damage.

There are indications that anthocyanins may halt damage and repair DNA, which could help to reduce natural ageing effects such as the wrinkling of the skin.

Benefits such as relieving eye fatigue and assisting glaucoma treatment through better blood flow have also been scientifically linked to blackcurrant compound
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller

Last edited by Stitcher; 01-30-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default fascinating

Carolyn - I saw this as well. Berry interesting!

Earlier today I went out looking for black current juice - found a single bottle left at Whole Foods. Then I picked up a supplement named... "BerrySplash"

One more thing to try!

Cheers!

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:36 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Plant pigments...

...toward the dark red, purple, and blue end have something extraordinary going for them. It's not just the berry cartel blowing smoke at us. There's quite a lot of research on Medline addressing it, including the part about neurological improvement. While regeneration may be going on, another possibility would be an increase in the efficiency of the remaining neurons. Either way we win.
-Rick
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How about that!!!!!

In Scandinavia, far north of citrus fruit growing climates, the most important sources of vitamin C have always been berries: currants red and black, rose hips, elderberries, blueberries, gooseberries, lingon, etc.
I grew up eating elderberry soup, black currant dessert, you name it. Anyone with a strip of garden grows berries in Denmark. In our summer house garden grew five large black currant bushes and countless red currant and gooseberry bushes. Elderberry trees grow like weeds wherever you let them.
And in all of Northern Europe and the UK (they like to be mentioned separately) children and adults drink gallons of Ribena, a delicious black currant concentrate.
I suppose all that is not enough to prevent the occurrence of PD, but perhaps enough to slow progression somewhat. I think every claim made in Carolyn's post more than likely is correct. Berries are medicine.
Now that we're going to spend our summers here in Pennsylvania, we have planted red and black currants and gooseberries in our garden here. In a couple of years I can start making berry jelly and berry desserts. And as soon as I find a source for black currant pills I plan to take them.
Thank you, Carolyn, this is very exciting news.

birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default People who improve

Your post raises an interesting question - would like to know your thoughts....

If a person who is diagnosed with PD intervenes on their own behalf and takes something - medication, supplement, whatever, and IMPROVES while taking it (by this I do not mean gains symptomatic relief, I mean an active improvement over time) are they then seen not to actually have had PD in the first place, because the neurons are supposed to be dead and it is not possible to reactivate them?? Thus creating a sub group of people WITH PD symptoms, but who would not get included in studies......

So this brings other questions - such as does anybody actually look at this group of people, to see what makes them different, or do they get chucked into a different medical bin?; if they don't and they retain their PD dx then is anyone seriously studying the possibility that neurons may not be dead, but could be dormant, dysfunctional, deactivated AND looking at people who have borderline dx's?; could this change the definition of PD?; Does anyone know anecdotally or otherwise of anyone whose PD has been 'cured', 'got better', or whose symptoms reduced or disappeared...... and please rap me on the knuckles if these are questions that I should not raise.... it seems a party line that nobody does....

Despite the supposed 80% neuronal loss ...... Obviously I am not expecting definitive answers, just ideas from the white rats themselves, rather than their observers! And because there is such a range in the way people are affected, and that some do not seem to progress very much at all......

The blueberries sound good all round, certainly taste great and yes, I am one of the ones who drink Ribena! But alas, I do not see any improvement no matter what I do, - questions are abstract and not personal!
Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:15 PM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default British Blackcurrants Bettter BBB LOL!!!!!

Carolyn,
British blackcurrants are bred to be black, and therefore contain higher levels of anthocyanins. You may have guessed, they close the Blood brain barrier!!
SEE http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=36488
Ron
British Blackcurrants Could Prevent Alzheimer's Disease
Main Category: Alzheimer's / Dementia News
Article Date: 24 Jan 2006 - 10:00

Research news in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture Compounds in blackcurrants could prevent Alzheimer's disease and the characteristics of British berries suggest they do it best, writes Jennifer Rohn in Chemistry & Industry magazine.

New research led by Dilip Ghosh of the Horticulture and Food Research Institute in New Zealand, shows that compounds in blackcurrants have a potent protective effect in cultured neuronal cells against the types of stress caused by dopamine and amyloid-b, a peptide associated with Alzheimer's disease.

'These compounds also work in hippocampal cells taken straight from the brain,' researcher James Joseph of Tufts University told Chemistry & Industry. Joseph says that the effect will likely be reproduced in the human body and that blackcurrants could help prevent or significantly delay the onset of Alzheimer's.

Blackcurrants and boysenberries, more common in the US, both contain anthocyanins and polyphenolics. British blackcurrants are bred to be darker, which means they have more anthocyanins and are likely to be more potent.

Compounds from these berries are already known to act as antioxidants, but a role in neuroprotection has not been demonstrated previously, according to the researchers.

The mechanism of action is unclear. But James said: 'We have evidence that the compounds protect against Alzheimer's by influencing the early gene expression in learning and memory, which influences cell signaling pathways that help neuronal cells communicate with each other.'

Dilip's team recently demonstrated the potent protective effect of blackcurrant compounds on cultured human promyeloyte and neuroblastoma cells assaulted by hydrogen peroxide (JSFA doi: 10.1002/jsfa.0247).

Article: "Effects of anthocyanins and other phenolics of boysenberry and blackcurrant as inhibitors of oxidative stress and damage to cellular DNA in SY-SY5Y and HY-60 cells" by D. Ghosh et. al JSFA, 10.1002/jsfa.2409.

ALSO Bilbrries close the BBB

Bilberry extract

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2000/mar00-cover1a.html

In addition, bilberry extract has been shown to enhance the blood-
brain barrier, which tends to become impaired with aging, showing a
decrease in vascular density, increased permeability and other
abnormalities. The normal functioning of blood-brain barrier is
important not only for keeping out toxins and undesirable compounds,
but also for glucose transport to the brain. Anthocyanins and
related compounds seem able to decrease capillary permeability
(possibly by stabilizing membrane phospholipids). Animal studies
have also shown that if the blood-brain barrier becomes damaged and
too permeable, anthocyanins help restore normal permeability
Ronhutton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:43 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Any one know where one could order the Blackcurrants used in the article?
rd42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:43 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ribena

Has anyone looked at the percentage of blackcurrants in Ribena.The last time I looked it was not particularly high.It contains added sugar which I try to avoid.Some research is needed here.Meridian does a juice which is apple and blackcurrant and I will be Emailing them to find out how high a percentage of blackcurrant .What is wrong with adding the whole blackcurrant to yogurt or cereal.You can buy the berries frozen
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default More

I am waiting for a reply from Meridian but this will affect only Europeans as it is an English firm and appears not to export long distance.
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote