Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Could have put this on Michaels thread...

...but I didn`t want to confuse the issues...hence starting this thr

I used to have beautiful teeth,straight,white and in fairly good shape.Now I hardly dare eat anything...they are nearly all filled and I am prone to abscesses under the teeth,and also they are crumbling.

Do our bodies not absorb nutrients very well with this condition,or is it a coincidence?
I am also getting small ulcers which take ages to heal.Could this also be a part of PD?
I am meticulous with my grooming but still my teeth shatter and my skin appears to have no protection from harmful bacteria.

Justy wondering
x
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Nutrient malabsorption...

...can definitely be part of the picture. There's a lot of involvement of the GI system for starters. And if you are one of the "lucky" ones to have H pylori that makes it much worse. A good quality multivitamin is an absolute minimum in my book.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default steffi

I just reread your letter and there's a couple of things you should think about. First, consider talking to your GP about whether your immune system is part of the problem.

Second, your mention of abcesses brings up the possibility of a hidden infection pumping toxins into your system. Even plain old gum disease is bad for Parkies in that the toxins are the LPS variety that we seem to be sensitive to. But, more importantly, a hidden abcess can wreak havoc on your immune system and under the right conditions can even kill. (My wife was in dentistry so you pick up little bits like that.) Might want to see your dentist?
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

steffi I answered you in the ibby thread....forgot where i was.

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:05 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hey steffi, honey:

my teeth are falling out of my head!! i used to always have strong, healthy white teeth but about 7 yrs ago they started to decay. i noticed my hand was always over my mouth when i smiled and i rarely even bothered to smile. i hated to look at pictures of myself but didn't realize that it was teeth that looked so bad. so i finally bit the bullet and went to my dentist. my dentist is so very cool and i actually kinda look forward to seeing all the gals in her office, but this time-it had been almost 3 yrs snce i had gone-and my teeth were a bit, shall i say, fuzzy?, that i was embarresed. she took alot of time with me and tolld me that people who take meds over a long period of time, usually have rotten teeth. she got me to figure out that the way i sleep at night, and wake up w/ such a desert mouh and then when i start taking meds i drool and then my chin tremors so violently that it knocks out my fillings! so she convinced me to let her cap the front five teeth. i must say that i felt like trailorr trash when i snuck a look at my whittled down teeth-i wasn't supposed to have a mirroe but i had one but the resuls are wonderful. i can laugh and talk and smile again and they are whiter than all those whitestrips can make them. so if you hav a chance, look into dental reconstruction, it ceertainly worked wonders for me.

"Hang tough...no way through it but to do it."
Chris in the Morning Northern Exposure
jes123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:35 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thank you so much

I have always been meticulous about hygiene,and oral hygiene in particular,brushing twice a day,flossing etc etc which is why I was so alarmed at this change in my teeth.Judging from these replies,it seems that medication and a sluggish digestive system may be part of the problem.I am seeing my dentist regularly,and he is brilliant with me,but so far has only filled my front teeth,not suggested cosmetic dentistry which I would welcome.I seem to be forever in the dentists chair.I was there Thursday,and yesterday two more teeth crumbled.
Truly,I am becoming paranoid about eating anything.Viscious circle hey?
So I have to go back yet again. The last abcess resulted in three lots of antibiotics,taking ages to heal.Yes,I do believe my immune system is utterly knackered forgive the phraseology.
Just waiting for my hair to fall out now and I can maybe get a job frightening folks off.
Shucks..if it aint enough to have the jitters,PD twists the knife a bit more by "shaking" your teeth and hair out.

Ah well...off to buy a black bin liner to put over my head...
thanks you lot
x
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 AM #7
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Why Can't I Ever Blend In?

Sorry Steffi and all,

I had one tooth filled as a child and have had perfect dental vists ever since. I don't seem to fit in anywhere.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Steffi,
Have some of the same problems with teeth & posted to Dr Leiberman some time back. He reckoned that decreased strength in movement could be a factor, i.e. we FEEL as though we are brushing hard as we are putting the same amount of effort in but actually we are not brushing as well as we did before. In addition dry mouth, drooling etc also plays a role. More frequent dental visits and being vigilant helps, but there is no doubt for me that there is also something extra. I also have the skin issues too, like a form of dermatitis, with very slow healing. Have yet to find out what that is all about, so am hoping for more responses to your questions.

Take care
Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:44 PM #9
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum, but thought I may be able to offer some suggestions about dental issues since I am a veteran chairside assistant in the profession.

People with Parkinsons generally have some special dental issues that require more frequent dental visits. :-(( But....it is possible to gain some control over these issues if you are able to perform some basic functions on a daily basis.

For instance:

1)Those people that are not able to effectively use a manual toothbrush, can use an electric one (like Braun or Elite) which are great for removing plaque. If you have difficulty flossing, then place the electric toothbrush at a 90 degree angle along the gumline and allow the brush to massage the gums and it will go somewhat in between the teeth.

2)Glide and perhaps some other companies make some flossers with a handle that makes the floss easy to place in between the teeth. No fumbling with trying to fit your fingers in your mouth ~'.'~

Dry Mouth is a very common complaint for people with Parkinsons as many medications cause the salivary glands to produce little to no saliva. The teeth need saliva to bathe in as a means of removing some debris. Without saliva, the debris from the foods eaten will remain on the teeth until it is physically removed, which may not be sufficient in some cases. Food debris left along the gumline will cause gum irritation and eventually recession and bone loss.

Some ways to help alleviate a dry mouth:

1)Drink plain water frequently throughtout the day. Even have a bottle of water on your nite stand as well. This helps to keep the mouth moist.
2)Chew gum that contains Xylitol. The chewing stimulates saliva flow and Xylitol actually helps prevent tooth decay! I would suggest doing a search on Xylitol as there is lots of interesting info on it.
3)Breathe through your nose and not your mouth as much as possible.
4)Use a vaporizer or humidifier (especially at nite) to help moisturize the air.
5)Use a lip moisturizer to reduce cracking and peeling of the lips.

Things to avoid or keep to a minimum:

1)Commercial mouthrinses that contain alcohol. The alcohol in these products act as a drying agent and it will create less saliva flow which can also lead to tooth decay.
2)Alcohol or soda containing caffeine, both dry out the mouth. Some acidic drinks like grapefruit, orange, tomato juice, apple, and grape all dry out the oral tissue. Lemonade or even a slice of lemon in a glass of water will cause erosion of the enamel which can lead to tooth decay. Lemon water is actually very beneficial for the digestive tract, but to avoid tooth problems, it needs to be drank rather than sipped.
3)Dry foods like crackers and toast stay in the folds of the oral tissue unless followed by water.
4)Foods high in sugar like hard candies that lay against your teeth as they melt and dried fruit that sticks to the little crevices.
5)Quit smoking....... ~'.'~

Some of you spoke about tooth abcesses. I have had patients tell me that their tremors become more severe when they have an infection. I also have seen improvement in patients who have had their abcessed teeth removed. I suppose it is the reduction in inflammation that allows the immune system to calm down and not have to work so hard!

Please let me know if this information was helpful to you!

Bryanna
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:14 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks Bryanna

Your information has been extremely helpful,

michael b.
michael7733 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote