advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 10:04 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Animals, dogs, cats that are gs.

Just wanted to link some good info. here with connections to DogtorJ and some of my notes... and hopefully others.

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...9793#post59793
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-04-2007, 11:00 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi - my dog gets the runs when he eats treats that are wheat based, as opposed to lamb meal or chicken meal based!
homer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I finally came to my sense and realized that cats were never meant to eat grains in any way, shape or form (less so even than humans who probably shouldn't either). I've got my little feline friend on a entirely meat diet now, sometimes raw but always unadulterated with extra stuff. I've managed to get my fat cat to shed a couple of pounds and he looks healthier and happier than he has in years!
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:43 AM #4
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Default Wheaten Terriers

After losing our dear Golden Retriever last summer, we decided to downsize to a smaller dog and also a non-shedding dog. Anyone who has had a Golden Retriever might understand this non-shedding requirement. We chose a Wheaten Terrier, and realized the irony of the breed name. I had no idea initially that this breed was also prone to gluten sensitivity! The breeder we got the dog from recommends a diet free of wheat, corn, soy, and a few other things [and knowing what I know about these foods, it made good sense], but it wasn't until we purchased a couple of books on the breed that we learned they are actually predisposed to gluten sensitivity...and have a genetic kidney disease that some believe might result from gluten sensitivity. Go figure. I guess we chose the right breed for us . We even make sure to give wheat/gluten free treats, and more and more are coming onto the market~

Do Food Allergies cause PLE/PLN in Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers?
http://www.spinone.com/AKC_CHF99/22FoodAllergies.htm

Even found some info on PubMed...
Evaluation of intestinal permeability and gluten sensitivity in Soft-Coated Wheaten Terriers with familial protein-losing enteropathy, protein-losing nephropathy, or both.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Food hypersensitivity reactions in Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers with protein-losing enteropathy or protein-losing nephropathy or both: gastroscopic food sensitivity testing, dietary provocation, and fecal immunoglobulin E.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=10668819

Anne found this for me... on the potential use of the zonulin blocking drug being used in veterinary medicine!

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...se,12368.shtml

Alba Therapeutics Corporation and The Royal Veterinary College, London Announce Initiation of AT-1001 Study in Patient Dogs with Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Posted on : Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:08:01 GMT | Author : Alba Therapeutics Corporation
News Category : PressRelease

BALTIMORE and LONDON, Oct. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Alba Therapeutics Corporation (Alba) and The Royal Veterinary College, London (RVC) today announced that they have initiated a study in dogs stricken with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), to assess the use of Alba's zonulin receptor antagonist, AT-1001. The double-blinded, placebo-controlled and randomized study will enroll 60 IBD patient dogs presenting to The Queen Mother Hospital for Animals, RVC, in four arms and will assess the ability of AT-1001 to reduce the signs, clinical markers and histopathological lesions associated with IBD.

"We are extremely pleased to be working with the RVC in this important study," stated Dr. Blake Paterson, CEO of Alba Therapeutics. "While Alba continues to assess the use of zonulin antagonist, AT-1001, in validated IBD animal models, the ability to run a clinical trial in patient dogs will provide useful clinical insight and allow us greater confidence that zonulin receptor antagonism may offer advantages over conventional immunosuppressive and dietary measures in both dogs and humans. We are fortunate to be working with our RVC collaborators, as they are uniquely qualified to run this study as established leaders in the development and implementation of animal clinical trials."

Within each of the four arms of the clinical trial, patient dogs will receive a hydrolysed veterinary diet. In the first arm, patients will receive the diet and AT-1001 and in the second arm, patients will receive the diet, AT-1001 and prednisolone. In the third and fourth arms, patients will respectively receive the diet and placebo, or diet, placebo and prednisolone.

"We believe the potential clinical benefit of AT-1001 in diseases characterized by increased intestinal permeability such as IBD to be powerful," stated David Walker, lead Co-Investigator. "Alba's progress with AT-1001 in Celiac Disease, together with the scientific rationale supporting the use of zonulin receptor antagonism in inflammatory diseases, gives us great confidence that this study will open the door to other therapeutic applications for the product," stated Oliver Garden, Principal Investigator of the Canine IBD Clinical Trial.

IBD is an inflammatory disease that can involve either or both the small and large bowel and is often considered a disease of adolescents and young adults, because it is most commonly first diagnosed in people between the ages of 15 and 35 years. Active IBD is characterized by acute inflammation, whereas chronic IBD is characterized by architectural changes of crypt distortion and scarring. Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are the best-known forms of IBD. IBD is estimated to affect 1.4 million people in the United States and up to 2.2 million people in Europe.

About Alba: Alba Therapeutics is a Baltimore-based biopharmaceutical company dedicated to commercializing disease-modifying therapeutics and drug delivery adjuvants based on the zonulin pathway. Alba's lead product, AT-1001, is currently in a Phase II trial for Celiac Disease and is planned to enter clinical studies in Type 1 Diabetes in 2007 following an IND filing in late 2006. Alba is testing zonulin receptor antagonists, including AT-1001, in a variety of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.

About RVC: The Royal Veterinary College (RVC) is the UK's first and largest veterinary school and a College of the University of London. Since its foundation in 1792, it has become a world-leader in veterinary and biomedical teaching and research. The Queen Mother Hospital for Animals is the largest small animal teaching hospital in Europe and leads the world in clinical trials of new and exciting diagnostic modalities and therapeutic agents. The Canine IBD Clinical Trial is being led by Oliver Garden, a veterinarian with over 13 years' experience in the fields of veterinary gastroenterology and immunology.

Alba Therapeutics Corporation

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 02-06-2007 at 11:55 AM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote