advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Incoming!!! A just diagnosed newbie!

Hi everyone! After waiting the longest week of my life the results from Enterolab arrived just hours ago. I am gluten sensitive. While the news did not come as a total surprise I am a bit numb right now. My health world imploded four years ago and I've had IBS longer than that. Hopefully this is the answer to what happened for years ago that I have been looking for.

In the days and weeks to come I will explore this forum. Any tips, don't- miss- this- website suggestions, and words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
JustWeave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome!

Did you see the 'Gluten File' at the top of the page?

That'll be the best read you've ever had when it comes to gluten.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:14 AM #3
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

One of my favorite tips to give is to keep your diet very simple in the beginning for a couple of reasons. One is because simple whole foods are better for you and may help with quicker healing, and the second reason is that it is completely overwhelming in the beginning to figure out which processed foods are safe to eat. It is just an information overload sort of thing.

So, sticking to mostly meats (unless you are vegetarian), fruit, veggies, rice, potatoes, in the beginning is just easier to manage. There are several safe food lists that are a big help in figuring out what process foods are ok, but always double check by reading the label to be sure as ingredients do change and lists can become outdated. New labeling laws are helping too, as often Includes WHEAT on the label, or GLUTEN FREE on the label can help at a glance.

It is much easier to start with a list, and pick items off of it that sound good, rather than to hit the grocery store unprepared. I think my first grocery trip took me over two hours, and was just overwhelming. So.. sticking mostly to plain whole foods, and slowly adding back some processed foods help the transition.

Safe Food Lists
Celiac.com Safe & Forbidden Food Lists
GF Products- Mainstream- Wheaton Gluten Free Support Group
Delphi Celiac Forum Safe Product List
Delphi Celiac Forum Cross Contamination Checklist
GF/CF DIET

Here is a link that compiles most of the specialty gluten free food vendors:
GLUTEN-FREE FOOD VENDORS

Check your local stores, though, as many have pretty good gluten free aisles now... compared to almost nothing five years ago. It is getting easier. I started a favorite products thread...but it looks like it could use some more responses (hint, hint, everyone).
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...orite+products

Some gf speciality food is very good, and some tastes like cardboard. You can have a perfectly wonderful gf diet without purchasing any specialty foods... as there is a lot of naturally gluten free food in the world. So, don't get carried away and place a huge order or buy too many things first time out to a specialty store. I do regularly buy a few gf specialty products.... like gf pasta, pretzels, and a few other things.

Also...keep an eye out for other food offenders.... milk products, corn, soy, eggs are among them. If you keep having symptoms, start a food journal. There are many other things you can do to help promote healing...many people find it a long process to really get better. But, some people have remarkable responses to a gluten free diet alone.

Hope this helps!

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 02-07-2007 at 10:07 AM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:03 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome! Would you mind sharing your test results? Were you tested for anything other than gluten?

Claire
Old 02-07-2007, 01:23 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

KimS- I haven't done so yet but will check out the "Gluten File".

jccglutenfree- Thanks for all your tips!

diamondheart- My Antigliadin IgA was 17 (normal is <10) and my Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA was 10 (normal is <10). I also had the Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat score done and that was below 300 which is normal. Those are the only tests done at Enterolab. I did have the usual blood testing done for gluten which said everything was fine. I don't plan to have any other food allergy tests done at this time.

Everyone- Thanks for your warm welcome.
JustWeave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote