Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default can fusion hardware block mri and ct scan

My father had a lumbr fusion four years ago, on two vertebrates?, and they installed a plate. Ever since he has been in pain at the surgery site and in his legs and feet. The pain is really getting to him, so I am trying to figure this out. The surgeons don't want to operate. And, yet they can't control the pain. I am wondering if they don't want to operate because they can't see what's going on. Should they do exploratory surgery and maybe take out the hardware? It's been 4 years, would this be impossible? It seems to me that someone needs to get their hands dirty, and these doctors are chicken for some reason. Meanwhile, my father's nerves are dying in his legs and feet and his spine hurts a lot. Would love to have some advice.
Anthony77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (07-26-2010)

advertisement
Old 07-23-2010, 05:01 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Second opinion???
Keano16 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (07-26-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

He should be able to have a CT scan with this hardware in him, but he cannot have an MRI. Ask his doctor to schedule this for him, and then he'll be able to see what's going on. At CT scan is probably better than an MRI anyway. I'm so sorry your poor father is suffering so. Aren't they giving him any pain meds?? If not, shame on them!!! He should be able to take SOMETHING!!! Please let us know how things come out ~ I for one would really like to know. God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (07-26-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Most of fusions nowdays are made by MRI compatible materials like carbon, titanium and PEEK. Considering the fact your father had surgery only few years ago, I think he has MRI compatible hardware.

CT will better show hardware position, etc... But MRI will better show the nerves, tissues, etc.
Keano16 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
after fbss?