Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 04:29 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Exclamation Please help me understand my MRI results, thanks :)

Exam: MRI Lumbar canal w/o contrast.

Findings:
Conus is identified at the T12 level.

Degenerative and desiccative changes are noted involving the L4-5 and L5-S1 disks.

No significant central canal or neural foraminal stenosis is seen at the L3-3 and L3-4 levels.

At the L4-5 level, small right paracentral disk protusion is seen with associated annular tear. This encroaches upon the adjacent L5 nerve root in the lateral recess. A combination of ligamentous hypertrophy, disk protrusion and mild osseous degenerative changes in combination with a somewhat congenitally small canal narrowly transverse diameter of the central canal at this level to 1.0 cm indicative of mild to mderate central canal stenosis. There is some mild narrowing of the right0sided L4-5 neural foramina inferiorly due to right paracentral disk protrusion. No appreciable narrowing is seen in the left L4-5 neural foramina.

At the L5-S1 level, some mild central disk bulging is seen. No appreciable central canal or neural foraminal stenosis is seen at this level. Normal marrow signal is seen throughout. Adjacent soft tissues are unremarkable in appearance.
cats is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-06-2010, 06:39 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats View Post
Exam: MRI Lumbar canal w/o contrast.

Findings:
Conus is identified at the T12 level.

Degenerative and desiccative changes are noted involving the L4-5 and L5-S1 disks.

No significant central canal or neural foraminal stenosis is seen at the L3-3 and L3-4 levels.

At the L4-5 level, small right paracentral disk protusion is seen with associated annular tear. This encroaches upon the adjacent L5 nerve root in the lateral recess. A combination of ligamentous hypertrophy, disk protrusion and mild osseous degenerative changes in combination with a somewhat congenitally small canal narrowly transverse diameter of the central canal at this level to 1.0 cm indicative of mild to mderate central canal stenosis. There is some mild narrowing of the right0sided L4-5 neural foramina inferiorly due to right paracentral disk protrusion. No appreciable narrowing is seen in the left L4-5 neural foramina.

At the L5-S1 level, some mild central disk bulging is seen. No appreciable central canal or neural foraminal stenosis is seen at this level. Normal marrow signal is seen throughout. Adjacent soft tissues are unremarkable in appearance.
When do UC ur doctor?
HersheyLover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:34 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyLover View Post
When do UC ur doctor?
I have to make an appointment with a orthopedic surgen tuesday .1st surgen was not with my insurance. i have the mri disk.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think I might be able to help you.

1. L4-5 & L5-S1 the disc are drying out and it's going to keep happening. this causes the discs to bulge and herniate. Right now they haven't.

2. L3-3? & L3-4 everything is fine

3. L4-5 you have a disc that's protruding and also an annular tear. I'm not positive what that is but it hurts. It also is pushing on the L5 nerve root and that's painful. The combination of overgrowth of a ligament, a disc protrusion, and mild bony degenerative changes along with somewhat congenitally small spinal canal narrowly across diameter of the central canal at this level to 1 cm indicative of mild to moderate canal stenosis (narrowing). There is mild narrowing of the L4-5 neural foramina (hole where the nerves go thru to the spinal canal) due to the disc protrusion. This is on the right. It's ok on the left.

4. L5-S1 Some mild central disc bulgiing is seen. No canal or foraminal stenosis is seen. Everything is ok.

I hope i put this is terms that are somewhat understandable. if you have any questions please let me know. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cats (09-07-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink than you Leesa

Thank you so much for taking time and helping me .you are very kind and i really appreciate it . I can now understand it better.i hope you have a perfect day! ( cats )
Old 09-08-2010, 01:05 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats View Post
Thank you so much for taking time and helping me .you are very kind and i really appreciate it . I can now understand it better.i hope you have a perfect day! ( cats )
I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF SURGERY I WILL NEED AND AM ALSO WORRIED ABOUT THE TIME I WILL BE OUT OF WORK.CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THEY THINK IS IN STORE FOR ME ,I DONT HAVE A CLUE. THANKS FOR READING MY POST!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Cats ~ I'm no doctor, but from what I can see I don't think you're going to need any surgery. From what I can tell, I don't think it's serious enough to require it. No surgeon would do surgery on this, but remember I'm no doctor. It's just from this description I can't see a need for it a THIS TIME. They'd probably recommend PT and exercises ~ something like that. You're lucky!!

Best of luck and God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cats (09-09-2010)