Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Please interpret MRI results

Please tell me what this means.

1) 3mm broad base disc protusion L5-S1.

2) Mild left neuro foraminal stenosis L5-S1

left side narrowing of the canal.

I am only 26 yrs old. Am I too young to have this. How can i make it better?

Thanks.
sgold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-07-2010, 07:03 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgold View Post
Please tell me what this means.

1) 3mm broad base disc protusion L5-S1.

2) Mild left neuro foraminal stenosis L5-S1

left side narrowing of the canal.

I am only 26 yrs old. Am I too young to have this. How can i make it better?

Thanks.

I Googled them for you I hope this heps

1) broad-based protrusion: Herniation of disc material extending beyond the outer edges of the vertebral body apophyses over an area greater than 25% (90 degrees) and less than 50% (180 degrees) of the circumference of the disc. See protrusion. Note: Broad based protrusion refers only to discs in which disc material has displaced in association with localized disruption of the anulus and not to generalized (over 50% or 180 degrees) apparent extension of disc tissues beyond the edges of the apophyses. If the base is less than 25%, it is called "focal protrusion." Apparent extension of disc material, formation of additional connective tissue between osteophytes, or overlapping of non-disrupted tissue beyond the edges of the apophyses of over 50% of the circumference of the disc may be described as bulging. See: bulging disc, focal protrusion

2) What is lumbar spinal stenosis?

The lumbar spine is made up of five vertebral bodies in the lower back. Nerves coming off the spinal cord travel though the spinal canal and exit the canal through small openings on the sides of the vertebral called foramen. Lumbar stenosis (spinal stenosis) is a condition whereby either the spinal canal (central stenosis) or vertebral foramen (foraminal stenosis) becomes narrowed. If the narrowing is substantial, it causes compression of the nerves, which causes the painful symptoms of lumbar spinal stenosis.
rfei57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote