advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 01:49 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Genetically Modified Food

I saw the most interesting and at the same time disturbing film last night with my husband. It's called "The Future of Food" and we were able to check it out free from our library. It is all about genetically modified food. The film was made in 2004. Here is the link for the film's website:
http://www.thefutureoffood.com/

From what the movie said, cross pollination between genetically modified crops and normal crops is a major concern. From what I've been learning, this is dangerous because there are genetically engineered crops being grown that produce pharmaceutical drugs and chemicals. Who knows what kind of health and digestive problems could result from this. The following link discusses it in more detail: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4709

I wanted to see what other information you all had about this, and to see if it concerns you as well. I guess one big thing that concerns me is the possibility of somehow combining gluten free grains with gluten containing grains via genetic engineering, and having it cross pollinate with conventional crops made into what are supposed to be gluten free products.

Jenny
jennyj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes, it is absolutely frightening!

I've been trying to make sure to get a couple of packs of heritage seeds every year so that I can try and do my part to keep the 'purer' foods around for as long as I can.

Honestly, I'm not very good at it though. A lot of stuff dies on me.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lectins- The tie that binds.

Here's a little link that will help tie this thread to the one we are discussing on lectins (Playing Chicken with celiac testing). Do a search for "GMO, lectins" and you'll see something very interesting. I completely disagree with their statement that "Most of the other lectins that have been studied appear to have no discernible effect other than their ready attachment to the surface of intestinal cells.". Maybe the ones they've studied. But at least you get a feel for what these guys are up to. It is scary!

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

Last edited by DogtorJ; 02-12-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Addition
DogtorJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:45 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jenny, GE crops (and food!) greatly concerns me! Remember the recent issues with GE brown rice not meant for human consumption escaping into the food stream? I won't buy it (GE food) even if the government has deemed it acceptable for human consumption! I buy "almost" 100% organic and we try to grow some organic produce too (started from organic seed or at least seed from companies that claim their seeds are not genetically engineered), but this doesn't address the issue of cross-pollination, unfortunately.
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote