Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown Two C-Spine surgeries, need help.

I have had two different Cervical surgery's now. First was 2 1/2 years ago, C6 & C7, my Dr siad the fusion didn't take very well. We used my own hip bone because it is supposed to fuse better than using somebody else's bone. Well my hip is numb as you know what, you can put cold or hot on it and I couldn't tell you what temp it is.

I had another one done this past May for C5 & C6, and he said he would drill out what started to fuse from the 1st surgery....well I do have to say from both surgery's I am better but I still have massive numbness when I sleep, I can't put my head down for more than 30 seconds without it hurting really bad. I still have muscle spasms in my shoulders and still have pain in my elbows. We used my hip bone again, he said it looks to be fusing but I am not really sure, I just saw my x-rays for the first time with him and they look a lot like they did the first time, black mass between the disc's.

I also have Fibro so that kicks my butt some days, I have RLS which the pills do help with, and my arms are so weak it drives me nuts, it hurts to pick up a cup of coffee sometimes, in my elbow, and the numbness at bedtime really messes with my sleep, my whole left arm goes numb. Most of my weakness and pain is in my right arm. and the muscle spasms are in both shoulders and triceps.

My Dr has been giving me pain pills, I don't use them everyday because I don't want to get addicted to them but at the same time I can't keep living like this, it kills a person's motivation, living in pain. Now I was told today that he won't fill my Loratab anymore, just Ultram, he acts like I am taking major pills here, it is only for 4 pills a day....and I don't even take that but when I do ask for them he treats me like a drug addict!

I have had a nerve conduction test, I have chronic nerve damage in my C6/C7 area.

I also have pain in the middle of my back, my Dr says I must have pulled a muscle, well it has been like this for years, so if it was a pulled muscle there really must be something wrong with me!

No one has taken me seriously about my middle back pain, if I have my husband rub my spine there are times when he hits a certain area in the middle of my back right on my spine that it feels like he shot me with electricity. But my Dr says that is a pulled muscle...Hey he is the Dr right?

I have had a couple of lumbar MRIs done and was told that my disc degeneration is normal for a person my age, so why does it hurt so bad to bend over??

My question now is because I have had savior nerve damage will surgery really take care of all my numbness??? NO it won't, that's my opinion.

I have had two Dr's only one has done my surgeries, i went to the second one for a second opinion before the 2nd surgery. He said he couldn't do anything for me, he was a NS, my actual surgery Dr is an Ortho; he is the best in my area, so I am told.

The NS had me try epidurals, have done two with no change, and he then suggested me to get the nuro stimulator put in my spine. All the research and people I have talked to said they wouldn't suggest it. Plus it is more of my numbness that drives me nuts more so than the pain. He said he wasn't sure if it would help with my numbness and all the research I did didn't say it would either. Does anyone know if it would?

What I really want to know is there anything else I can do? I'm only 39 and feel like I am 89.

Thanks,
Luci
Luci is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

i can't believe your doctor! Why on earth wouldn't he refill your pain pills? Doesn't he UNDERSTAND chronic pain??? This makes me so mad!!

One thing I have to tell YOU - Chronic pain patients don't really get addicted to pain meds = if they take them as prescribed for the REASON prescribed, the will NOT get addicted. Sure, they become physically dependent, but that is NOT the same as addicted. I've been on pain meds since about 1995 and I'll have to be on them the rest of my life - but there are times I forget to take them - and then wonder why I hurt so much. I don't CRAVE the meds. I don't THINK about them 24/7 - that's what an addict does - they crave them and think about them all the time. A true pain patient doesn't. So you should be taking your meds as prescribed so that you can keep your pain levels at an even keel - if you let your pain get out of control, you won't be able to knock it down.

I think you should find another doc who would prescribe meds for you like you should have! This doc doesn't understand chronic pain! And to cut you off like that is dangerous. He should give you another refill and show you how to WEAN off the meds. Just stopping cold turkey can put you in a world of hurt. Withdrawals can be dangerous, and he should know that.

The stimulator will NOT help with numbness. I've had one - it later had to be removed, but it does work for pain. If pain is your main issue, you can have a trial period for the stimulator to see how it works. If you dont' like it, you don't have to have it. But if it works, then they can implant it. But like I said, it doesn't work for numbness. Only pain.

I wish you the very best of luck. Please find a doc who will treat you with dignity and will help with your pain. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:27 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Leesa.....yeah I called 3 days ago for the two pills to be refilled and he still hasn't called them in. I am in the middle of getting a new job and won't have insurance until mid Dec, but the first thing I am doing is going to find a new Dr. I really think it is time for this Dr to retire cuz he only cares about the money not me. And thanks for the advise on the implant, yes it is more numbness that drives me nuts than the pain. Gald I didn't do it
Luci is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote