Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Help understanding my MRI

I'm new here and trying to find my way around your forum, so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area. Originally I posted this under the new members section, but after reading more I think I will get more answers if I repost this here.

I've been suffering for what seems like forever (reality only a couple of years) with severe pain in my neck, shoulder, arm and right hand. I finally have an appt. with a neursurgeon in 2 weeks, and I'm really hoping that surgery is an option to fix my issues, since I can't return to work until I am fixed. I've been a graphic designer for 20 years, and can't use my right hand now to draw with the problems in my neck.

The pain is so severe in my neck, driving is almost impossible now, and the nerve pain runs down my right arm into the last two fingers. I have been off work on pain meds waiting for a neurosurgeon to review my test results. I have my MRI but have difficulty understanding what it all means. Can anyone help explain to me what this means and what my options are?

MRI of cervical spine:
At the C3/4 level, there is a focal disc osteophyte complex centrally within the spinal canal. This only partially effaces the anterioar CSF space and does not result in spinal stenosis. No neural foraminal narrowing is evident.
At C4/5 level, there is a minimal broad-based posterior disc protrusion which only partially effaces the anterior CSF space and does not contact the underlying spinal cord. There is minimal narrowing of the left lateral recess and no significant narrowing of the right lateral recess.
At the C5/6 level, there is a broad-based disc osteophyte complex which completely effaces the anterior CSF but does not result in spinal stenosis. The mid-sagital dimension of the thecal sac still measures 11mm. There is sever narrowing of the left lateral recess and moderate to severe narrowing of the right lateral recess at this level.
At the C6/7 level, there is a minimal broad-based posterior disc protrusion which is slightly ecentric to the left. There is mild to moderate narrowing of both lateral recesses (left greater than right).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ Let me see if I can help:

At C3-4 you have a bone spur in the spinal canal.

At C4-5 You have a disc bulge which partially blots out the CFS space, but doesn't touch the spinal cord. There is no spinal stenosis

At C5-6 You have a bone spur which completely blots out the CFS but doesn't result in spinal stenosis (narrowing).

At C6-7 You have a disc bulge slightly on the left. There is mild to moderate narrowing of lateral recesses. (stenosis.)

Just MY opinion, but this doesn't look like surgical problems. You would be MUCH better off going with conservative methods ~ believe me, you are NEVER the same after surgery. And usually after surgery, you STILL have the same pain and sometimes worse. Pain is NEVER a reason to have surgery. Surgery ONLY corrects mechanical problems, but it very rarely helps pain. Also, once you've had surgery, usually a few years later you'll need more surgery because the levels above or below the surgery site will have failed. So it ends up to be a continual round of surgeries.

Best of luck to you. I hope something can be done to ease your pain. God bless and let us know what happens. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

i think you need to be eval'ed for thoracic outlet syndrome....and they needed to have MRI'd down one more vertebra....good luck
pabb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

"a graphic designer for 20 years, and can't use my right hand now to draw with the problems in my neck."

repetitive movements /desk/computer work?
with forward head/shoulder postures also?

Possibly could be thoracic outlet syndrome {TOS} - We have a forum here for more information about it.

Many Drs will overlook it, or don't recognize it in the early stages.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum24.html
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you for your replies... however, I'm not considering the surgery purely for relief from pain, more for my quality of life. I've been off work due to my problems since May of this year, with no hopes of returning to a career I truly love unless I can gain the use of my right hand an arm again. The numbness and severe weakness in my hand and arm prevents me from using the computer for long periods of time, and drawing (I am a graphic designer for the last 20 years). I'm also no longer able to kayak, scuba dive, or even go on challenging hikes or train at the gym, so I've lost my entire way of life due to the problems. If I don't have surgery, how do I regain the use of my hand and arm again? Then I risk loosing my career and my hobbies. I've already been in phsyiotherapy for months, I've tried everything from accupunture to massage, etc....

Would the sugery correct the pinched nerve that is not allowing me to use my hand? Would it allow me to get off the pain medication that I'm on just in order to be able to do simple tasks such as blow dry my hair and apply my makeup in the morning? I don't expect to be completely out of pain, but has anyone had this surgery and gained back their mobility and functionality that was lost due to all the bones spurs pushing on the nerves?

i'm scared to death of the surgery, but I also am scared of living the rest of my life without being able to enjoy doing everything I love to do.

Looking to get part of my life back, at 40 I really don't want to just sit at home on worker's compensation taking pain killers for the rest of my life. I've always led such an active lifestyle up until now.

It's so frustrating not having any options besides surgery or painkillers. I don't know what my neurosurgeon will say (my appt. has been moved to next Thurs.) but I'm leaning towards the surgery if it will allow me to regain my quality of life back.

Anyone been through this? Would like to hear of any success stories?

Thank you all...
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Unless there's something else going on with your hand like carpal tunnel, it should relieve some of the pain, but not all of it. You WILL still need your pain medication. I don't know how much, if ANY, pain relief you're going to get. Some people get quite a bit while alot of others get none. I should think you'll be able to use the arm/hand again as once they release that nerve, you shouldn't have a problem. But the pain receptors have been irritated for so long, they're gonna keep shooting out pain signals. So that's why you're going to need your pain meds.

I don't blame you for not wanting surgery because sooner or later you'll need more down the line. But looks like you have no choice right now. Best of luck and God bless. Keep us posted when you're up to it. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath1 View Post
Thank you for your replies... however, I'm not considering the surgery purely for relief from pain, more for my quality of life. I've been off work due to my problems since May of this year, with no hopes of returning to a career I truly love unless I can gain the use of my right hand an arm again. The numbness and severe weakness in my hand and arm prevents me from using the computer for long periods of time, and drawing (I am a graphic designer for the last 20 years). I'm also no longer able to kayak, scuba dive, or even go on challenging hikes or train at the gym, so I've lost my entire way of life due to the problems. If I don't have surgery, how do I regain the use of my hand and arm again? Then I risk loosing my career and my hobbies. I've already been in phsyiotherapy for months, I've tried everything from accupunture to massage, etc....

Would the sugery correct the pinched nerve that is not allowing me to use my hand? Would it allow me to get off the pain medication that I'm on just in order to be able to do simple tasks such as blow dry my hair and apply my makeup in the morning? I don't expect to be completely out of pain, but has anyone had this surgery and gained back their mobility and functionality that was lost due to all the bones spurs pushing on the nerves?

i'm scared to death of the surgery, but I also am scared of living the rest of my life without being able to enjoy doing everything I love to do.

Looking to get part of my life back, at 40 I really don't want to just sit at home on worker's compensation taking pain killers for the rest of my life. I've always led such an active lifestyle up until now.

It's so frustrating not having any options besides surgery or painkillers. I don't know what my neurosurgeon will say (my appt. has been moved to next Thurs.) but I'm leaning towards the surgery if it will allow me to regain my quality of life back.

Anyone been through this? Would like to hear of any success stories?

Thank you all...
Hi I just joined this site after reading your post, I have been off work since October 2011 with all the same symptoms, I just had my MRI and been referred to a neurosurgeon but where I am it maybe a while. The symptoms are all the same but mine have moved into my thigh. My MRI show disc degenerative between C5 and C6 and be told that Foraminotomy is surgery that widens the opening in your back where nerve roots leave your spinal canal and I have a narrowing of the nerve opening (foraminal stenosis). The Symptoms are if you have severe symptoms that interfere with your daily life. Such symptoms include:
• Pain that may be felt in your thigh, calf, lower back, shoulder, arms or hands. It is often deep and steady
• Pain when doing certain activities or moving your body a certain way
• Numbness, tingling, and muscle weakness
I am considering the surgery as the pain is unbearable with out the loads of pain killers I am on but I need to get my life back.
cowanm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote