Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 AM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink Giant outdoor Xmas ornaments at Costco!

We went to Costco yesterday, and yep, they have some Xmas stuff up already! Sheeeesh.... BUT....

There was one item that I found interesting that maybe we could try this year.

These are huge outdoor ornaments for your bushes outside the house. These come in packs of 6 for about $31.00. There were 3 color styles, and we decided on the red/white since they are going on green yews.

Here is a picture of the scale of it:

We live on a hill, a steep hill, and the yews planted around the front along the stairs and side walks are about 60yrs old. They are Chinese snow yews, and grow horizontally instead of upright. They were put in by my hubby's step-grandmother in the 50's. They have become very overgrown, and this season hubby and I decided to prune them into artistic shapes, and get some light/rain air circulation below them. It also helps when it snows, because they overhang the stairs and that is very difficult.

This picture is for scale to show how one will look. They are heavy plastic and from China... but considering prices on the net for the same which are very expensive...this was rather a deal. People were coming up to us all thru the store looking at them and commenting. So I think they will be gone quickly.
I found it funny that Oreo showed up instantly while I was taking this photo...since that is HER TREE that she sits in when we come home--she likes to greet us from it. When she was a kitten she loved climbing in them, and still does now at 9yrs old! LOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-04-2010 at 03:29 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (11-02-2010), Chemar (10-25-2010), Dejibo (11-04-2010), Kitty (10-24-2010)

advertisement
Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Love your Yews, the new overgrown ornaments and Oreo. I'll be right over.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (10-25-2010), mrsD (10-24-2010)
Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

I tried today to get hubby to put some up...weather is nice etc.

But he won't budge. I think getting them up and scrambling around under the branches will be unpleasant in winter weather.
But there is no budging him on this.

I'll put up some pictures once they are hung...to see the effects.

They come in a large firm see-thru package that can be used to store them. It has a handle on top, like some bedding comes these days.

One gal we ran into yesterday wanted them right then. She said she used some type once outside (they were glass) and all of them broke! We are going to use coated wire to hang them. Not string, since squirrels run around in those trees too, besides Oreo! The squirrels really chew up any lights, and I don't want lights anymore. In fact when we got home from vacation, there was a red light bulb under one of these trees, some bird or squirrel stole from another home! (we never used that type!)

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (10-25-2010), Dejibo (11-04-2010), SallyC (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Well, my son likes the idea, but does not have a Costco membership. So I went back there today, and bought the green ones for him for a Xmas present.(he can have it early).

After looking at the two boxes, it might be nice to swap out 2 or 3 of each to each other for the variety. We'll see if he agrees.

So I took a picture to send to him, and so I'll put it up here.
I did call them up...another store, to see if they had them too and talked to an office manager. She said they have 80 pieces, and no link to reorder. So I would guess 80 would be an average amount per store. So go early if you want them at all.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-04-2010 at 03:29 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (10-25-2010), Koala77 (10-25-2010), SallyC (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

A couple years ago my DH started doing those decorations & lights on the house & in yard, that 'dance' to music. We have 4 songs (Little Drummer Boy, Wizards in Winter, Jingle Bells & ? (I forgot)
lor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (10-25-2010), Koala77 (10-25-2010), mrsD (10-25-2010), SallyC (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 PM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

We bought them last year and they look great...except at night...we don't have the trees lit up that they're hung on, so you can only see them in daylight...music piped outside? we have to think about adding that...good idea!!
mrsD (10-26-2010), SallyC (10-25-2010)
Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Did you notice these?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

WOW that's long! But they're solar? I'd say how 'organic can you be'? But, they're made in China... tho..still they are cool in many ways. Tell me all true? That I'm NOT the only one that remembers those big bulbs on holiday trees and outside? I never thot of myself as getting well...'older'?
Tis' 9:45 pm on Halloween nite, only about 35-40 kids... there have been times when we've had over 80 kids here! I guess it's because it's a school nite. Did carve a decent tho not awesome pumpkin...maybe pics will follow?
Putting up holiday stuffs? Usually for us is about Dec 5+. Frost has occurred and the radios etc are doing the music thing. We're not yet into November as of today?
Hugs to all!!! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote