Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 AM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Some one from MS forum asking ? about back

Hello fellow neurotalkers!!!! My mom is 85 years old and has a lot wrong with her spine. She had a myelogram today which showed a lot of things I can't pronounce or comprehend even though I was an RN before MS took over my brain. Mom mom still thinks I'm the RN though!!!! Anyway this test showed some encroachment on L 2 and 3 on the right and L 5 on the left. It also showed a vacuum disc. Now I can honestly say I had never heard of that one and it isn't my MS brain taking over. Can anyone tell me about any of these things? She is not a surgical candidate at all and is going to have a series of epidurals. She had these about 15 years ago and didn't tolerate the last one at all. Have they improved on them? Thanks!!!!!
doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (11-03-2010)

advertisement
Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In my opinion, epidurals are just money makers for the doctors. I've had quite a few of them from 3 different pain clinics and NONE of them worked. I've talked to lots of people too who said the same thing. The standard payment amount to doctors is $1,500 PER injection!!! They like to give patients a series of 3 injections ~ and they tell patients that the steroids have to 'build up' in your system ~ that is a lie.

If the FIRST injection doesn't work, none of the others will work either. They do NOT have to build up in the system. You can google "epidurals" and read the medical journals if you don't believe me.

Steroids are not particularly good for the body either. They are hard on the bones. Will they help your Mother??? That's hard to say, They MIGHT provide her some relief, but these are TEMPORARY fixes - she might get 3 months relief - some have reported as long as a year's relief but that's few and far between.

If this is the ONLY option her doctor has given her, I guess it's worth trying. I hope and pray it works for her. PLEASE let us know if it works. I'll say some prayers that it does. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
doydie (11-02-2010), tamiloo (11-03-2010)
Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I have seen great success with the epidurals I have had. Years ago I had one and it didn't help at all. I do feel the success has a lot to do with the doc's experience in doing these procedures.

My elderly Mom is also not a candidate for spinal surgery and did have success with the epidural. This is my opinion only...try it and if it helps...fantastic...won't know the outcome unless you try it...hope she can find relief for her soon. My 87 year old Mom lives with us and is doing very well...just a little FYI...

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
doydie (11-03-2010)