Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default brain stem and nerve damage? Cymbaltra?

Just an update. After my last trip to Virginia Mason, a 2 hour drive, and a less then pleasing day filled with rude Dr's. Iwas not excited to go back. But, I did. It has been a year since my "accident". I met with a very nice Dr. He actually talked to me. Asked me questions. Touched my head and neck. I olny got scared when he was touching my head and said "oh boy" under his breath, and excused himself. He said that I may or may not have post concussion syndrome still. No question I did, but I was injured worse than I knew. He felt a small area along both sides of my temporal lobe area that he thinks were hair line fractured during the accident. He is leaning towards nerve damage in my brain stem,and Diffuse Axonal Injury? I wrote this down, but could not get all of it. The Emergency room I was taken to the night of the accident did not do a CT or MRI, or even touch my head. There was a lot of blood because I split open my jaw during the fall. The ER's diagnosis was syncope do to alcohol. I don't drink and my alcohol test was negative. I was at a concert. Anyway, He wants to put me on Cymbaltra for nerve pain and mood stabilization. anyone know anything about it? Washington State Molina insurance sucks and they refuse to pay for it. Is it worth the wait or does anyone have another idea. I know it will just mask the head pain, but at this point masking is good until the Dr figures out his nest move. Thanks.
natscoolma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-02-2010, 11:53 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Glad to hear you were seen by a doctor who seems to care. Good communication can make the process so much better. The doctors who make you feel like you are crazy should have their heads examined.

I am hesitant to use psychotropic drugs unless they are prescribed by a knowledgeable psychiatrist. The others are often just prescribing based on the literature and samples sent to their office.

Cymbalta is still new in the time line of proven drugs. Ask questions until you have a sense that the prescription is the right way to go.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote