Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 11:41 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weekly Check-In Feb 18-24 2007 Welcome New Community Members

Hi Everyone..Welcome new community members!..Feel free to check in and introduce yourselves, and let us know how youre doing

I really wish I could have made it to the PAN Forum..Im bummed out about that..I would appreciate for those of you who attended to share about how it was..My foot is somewhat better as long as I dont stand on it too long..The Dr says it was in fact plantar fasciitis..so Ive been taking anti-inflammatories and icing it

I went to my support group meeting today, and we discussed the medications we were taking..It really interesting how different everyone is and how we have such different reactions to the meds..We have a new member to the group who is considering DBS at an early stage of the disease because she simply cant tolerate pd meds without getting very sick..She says the only med she can tolerate is Parcopa..I remember the struggle I went through with nausea etc..Thank God that is behind me now

Look like we are going to get a bit of a break from the bitterly cold weather..Highs in the mid 30's anyway..Still cold but sounds alot better than what we have been having..Hopefully with a little luck I will be able to get outside soon and get some stuff done..and hopefully my foot will allow me too as well

Not much to report this week..just a hang around, do nothing week

How was your week?

Altered picture of the week........

Has Tom Cruise taken Scientology too far?

Last edited by stevem53; 02-18-2007 at 11:26 AM.
stevem53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Pretty ordinary week...

except that our 13 yr old grandson has been with us while his dad, our youngest son, is in Seattle. Will be with us next week also. He's a great kid, but we have to get up early to get him to school each morning since we don't live near his regular school bus route. Getting to sleep a little late was supposed to be one of the perks of retirement, but I have been putting up with the early rising pretty well.
Like Steve, I am looking forward to warmer weather, but here in the deep South that means nighttime lows above freezing and daytime highs in the 50s or 60s. I'll try not to gloat, Steve.

I hope everyone has a good week.

I like Dr. Spock's new face!

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:58 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default check-in

Hey all,

I have had a great week! My little darling first graders tattled all week long! ("He's looking at me!" "She skipped!" "He spit on me!") They had a great time passing out Valentine cards. It was fun to see their reactions over a simple little card. Sweet. I do love them so. I hope everyone had a happy Valentine's day. Girls, if your spouse didn't get ya anything, go out and buy something pretty and tell 'em thank you.

Mary Frances
maryfrances is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:19 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I spent Thursday and Friday of last week digging out of the 20" snowfall we had. I'm so worn out that all I could do yesterday was sleep. I had to cancel our support group meeting Friday because of the roads being in bad shape. We don't need any parkies falling needlessly, getting into auto wrecks, or worse yet stuck in a ditch. We have had the last 12 nights below 0* F. with wind chills around -20*. I guess winter finally decided to show up. I woke up this morning and guess what? Three more inches of snow to clear away. Today I'm of the opinion Mother Nature put it there, she can take it away.
Steve - I hope your foot gets better. There is nothing worse than having a bad wheel.
Mary Frances - Due to all of the snow, the schools were closed on Thursday (Valentine's Day) My nice was so upset because she didn't get to take her cards to school. Most of the kids in her class live in the neighborhood so I managed to take her around to deliver them. She was so tickled with it! It was fun to see thier reactions.

GregD
GregD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:42 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink Home from PAN

I had extended the PAN trip so I could visit with family in Virginia. Unfortunately the icy roads kept me from doing that. So I just stayed with a nephew, read, watched movies, & worked on the computer.

I was glad to get home to Arizona yesterday. I really don't mind cold weather, but I hate ICE!! But going through that bad weather reminds me that summers in the Arizona desert aren't so bad after all ...

In other news, I think we're going to go to a local animal shelter this morning to see about adopting a cat. Can't wait!!

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Jean..You reminded me about something I forgot to include in my post..My cat seems to be doing better..she is getting her appitite back and she is still on a mix of anti biotic and prentesone, and getting stronger..She squirms with strength now when I hold her down to give her the medicine..It is a challenge now to give her the meds

I think its great that you are adopting a cat Jean..My house wouldnt be home without them
Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

The grs5.gif is shining brightly here...90.gif

Hey, my Casper just wants me to sit in a chair so he can sit on me! He has been talking to me all morning, but I have been sitting in front of this monitor for a few hours now. It is hard to hold him and type at the same time...
Is your cat as cool as this one? x-lucycoolcat.gif

Glad your foot is better, Steve.

Wow, what a week.
Saturday, travel to PAN.
Sunday, lots of hugs all around...those once a year visits in person.
Monday, sit and sit.
Tuesday, Hill visits, BUT THEN, the race to get home...every one wanted to get out of D.C. on Tuesday, rather than wait until Wednesday.
Couple of inches on sleet on the sidewalk...take a taxi the three blocks to the Metro station, can't walk it as planned...then drive in the sleet for hour and a half to get home from the metro stop where my car was parked.
Weds...ice and more ice...sidewalks to clear ($85 fine if not)...then to my car, which was embedded in ice up to 12 inches (could stand between cars and the roof of the car was chest level, yikes
Thurs...back to my car...late afternoon, tried to drive it out, the underside got caught up on ice I didn't chip low enough, so tow truck time...ugh...to pull it the rest of the way out of the space...now parking a block away and walking home until I can clear it a bit more
Fri...grandchildren day
Sat...9 yr old birthday
Sunday...today...suppose to be working on my neighbors car...chipped half of the ice yesterday evening...BUT I am overwhelmingly exhausted...every cell in my body...so not going to work on it today.
3dvoyante.gifI hear tell that the first day of Spring is March 21st, and

the lazy days of 87.gif are right behind it

I know I know...I need to grow up...can't resist being a kid with time allows...
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:30 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked new cat...

Steve,

So glad to hear your cat is doing better.

Yes, we did go to the shelter and adopted a new cat -- big cat, 2 years old, orange & white fella, talks a lot, very affectionate. You are right - it just wasn't the same without one.

Carolyn - your cat Casper sounds like quite a guy!! AND it sounds like you have not had an easy time with the cold icy weather. My sympathies. I admit to being glad to be back in warm arizona.

In other news - Dr. Dave Heydrick will be out here this coming week to be a presenter at NPF/Ali Center sponsored events (2 meetings - one in east valley & one in west valley). I'll be manning an info table (PAN & PDtrials) at the east valley event, and if his schedule is clear that evening, my husband & I will take him out for Mexican food at our favorite restaurant.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:12 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi:

Unfortunately, this past week included Valentine's Day. I never really liked Valentine's day. When I was in elementary school, the nuns would set aside much of that day for the exchange of Valentine Cards. This was accompanied by a flurry of activity as cards were exchanged, opened, shared, commented upon etc. My desk saw very little activity. Oh, I got cards but they were the kind passed out at gas stations or Super Markets and addressed to DEAR OCCUPANT, HAPPY VALENTINES DAY. SMOKE CAMELS. Not the kind of card you'd want to flash about. My mother must have known; she never asked to see my haul of Valentine's cards.

Other then that, the week went well. It was cold but I'm a cheese head from Wisconsin (though I live in New York now). I am in the process of down sizing and preparing for the move to Maine later this year. The biggest (really heaviest) items I have to get rid of are books. The local book dealer has hauled off two loads and I am preparing to pass on my technical library to younger colleagues.

We live in exciting times; PD, moving, downsizing, etc.

A saving grace? My little grandson, Nicholas, who is pictured taking a bath. Unfortunately, he pooped in the tub shortly after this picture was taken. Little boys do things like that.

All the best

Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Check-In Feb 18-24 2007 Welcome New Community Members-nicholasbath-jpeg  
burckle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi all,

Lloyd, I have been through the downsizing a few times now. All I have left to give away now are people...lol. I'm kidding but maybe not as my daughter just totaled another car....no life threatening injuries but she and her friend are pretty banged up. The SUV she was driving rolled over and righted itself back up on its wheels.....a lot can happen in that roll and thank heavens they both had their seatbelts on. I don't think I am going to even go look at the car....I've heard about it, that's bad enough.

How do kids survive their twenties? And what did I do that I have to live with one during her twenties?

Of course when they leave I'll be miserably lonely and love being with my grandson.....but watching a girl in her twenties find herself is a challenge.

I guess Britney Spears mother would understand - so far no tatoos or shaved head in this house.

Paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote