Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 05:33 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Anxiety Meds

Hi guys,
Im glad I found this site, great info! Its great for me knowing that other people have gone through this and that everything is going to be ok.

My problem with PCS is that I have an anxiety condition and even though I have had concussions in the Past and I have read up on it, (I am going on 2 months b/c of a minor consussion) my brain tells me im doomed and I have brain damage!! Although rationally I know my symptoms of dizzyniess, nausea, vision problems are normal and should clear up.

My question is, has anyone had experience with antidepressants SSRI or anxiolytics like xanax or ativan? Cant find much info on it, I have read SSRIs can help, specially given the problem is at least somewhat psychological. For me this is very true as everytime I slightly touch my head or turn rapidly I get scared because I think I might get another concussion! anxiety is killing me!

Well basically I really want to heal naturally and the right way, are these drugs last resort or are they beneficial in every case?

any help appreciated, thanks!
josh1980 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Josh,

Good questions. Anxiety can be a symptom of concussion. It can also be a symptom of PTSD. The psychological aspect of anxiety is not something I have spent any time considering. The prior two issues are physiological.

There are some CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapies) that can help with anxiety. I believe most PCS subjects struggle to accept the new them with PCS. I think this acceptance is important to long term recovery processes. If one breaks their leg, they accept the cast and disability while they heal.

The same needs to happen with PCS. Accept the limitations and symptoms, thus reducing stress and anxiety, enabling the brain to heal to is maximum level. The stress chemicals (hormones and toxic byproducts) slow or prevent the brain from healing.

When one accept the symptoms and limitations, it allows they to move on rather than get stuck in the past or present. There is a simple fact that you need to accept. There is no rule that says you will or will not recover to any specific level. There are many well meaning people who claim you will make a full recovery. Some even quote time lines. Disregard these people.

Everybody who suffers a concussion will have some permanent symptoms. Those who focus on this will be doomed to be even more symptomatic. Those who choose to accept their current condition but work toward a productive future will do much better. The dopamine that results from pleasure and success is a great brain healer/balancer.

Your history of prior concussions leads to a prognosis of less than complete recovery. This does not mean you cannot live a full life. The important issue is to reduce further risk to your brain. Poor nutrition will injure your brain just as much as another concussion. There is no need to be anxious about permanent damage any more than you are anxious about getting in an auto accident. You should be making choices and taking precautions to lessen the risk of both.

Nausea and dizziness will improve, even if slowly over a longer period than expected.

What are you doing to deal with your current struggles? Have you chosen to move slower? It is an easy choice. I needed to learn to not shake my head No. I don't even turn my head from side to side quickly to follow a visual object. I have a 45 year history of concussions.

Once you accept that these symptoms are real and not a reflection of who you are as a person, you can start moving forward. You are not going crazy from the concussion. Unreasonable expectations can create crazy like anxiety. Don't expect too much, too fast. When improvements are noticed, accept them for the current time but do not expect them to be permanent. Concussion symptoms are like a roller coaster. Lots of up and down.

Regarding SSRI's. I have been on one for almost 12 years, Paxil, and at maximum dose. The side effects can be tough. Some are more tolerant than others. Mine are only ED, occasional nausea, and profuse sweating at the slightest physical exertion. I was prescribed it for anxiety/OCD. My brain will get stuck looping on meaningless thoughts, the spelling of a word, a license plate number, a stanza to a song. Very annoying and exhausting. The Paxil allows me to choose a different thought. I call it my juke box function.

My biggest concern about SSRI's and such is the knowledge of the prescribing doctor. I do not believe non-psychiatrists should ever be prescribing psycho-tropic drugs. The support needed during the start up phase of SSRI's is important. Most of the bad experiences are due to patients who do not receive good support from their doctors.

Beware the doctor who says, "Let's try this." The doctor should have a specific reason for prescribing the drug. No shot in the dark. The drug should be targeted at a particular symptom or group of symptoms. Be aware that SSRI's can take six weeks or more to start to work. They can also be very problematic to stop taking. Most need to wean off very slowly.

Do a search for my and others posts about nutrition, vitamins and other supplements. The injured brain has very special needs. Nutrition should become a way of life, not a quick fix. The improvements are very slow but can be life changing.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have Post Concussive Syndrome. Before my accident I was very active and social. I beleived in mind over matter- you could push yourself even if you were afaid and overcome anything. But now I suffer from horible anxiety!! I have PTSD and agoraphobia. I am on Zoloft and Xanax to control the overwhelming feelings of doom. without them I would stay in my room for weeks if not longer without sleeping more than an hour at a time because of panic.
I never had this before and blame it all on my brain injury.
mbrook is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote