advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Reading Labels -- Traces, Machinery, Facilities

I'm curious as to how you all deal with ingredient labels that say something may contain traces of something, is shared with the same machinery as something, or is processed in the same facility as something.

Do you run for the hills? Find it is usually safe (the lawyers just want the company to protect itself)? Or does it vary (sometimes you react, sometimes you don't)?

Does it make a difference if you are talking about gluten or something else where you have a sensitivity, but not an allergy?

TIA
hathor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-21-2007, 12:04 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good question! Since for me my sensitivity is definitely not a life or death situation, I generally buy the product, if it is something I need or want. I reason that a lot of ithe warning may be due to the company trying to protect itself. I've not noticed any reaction in myself rom possible cross contamination, but then, I'm still learning. I'll watch with interest to see what some of the experts post!
Hugs,
Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My main criteria is the ingredients label. Those other labels are optional and I figure why should I punish the folks who are doing their best to disclose possible cross-contamination versus the ones that don't even bother.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:11 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If it says 'may contain traces of wheat' then you need to run for the hills on that one!!

If it's something that's run in a facility or on a line, then I judge that after calling the company and getting the nuts and bolts as to when they run the gf product and what their cleaning procedure entails.

For example: Many companies will run their allergy foods first and then their other foods.... Nature's Path, I believe, is one of those companies... you'd have to double check that though to be sure. So I feel comfortable with them.

Any company that puts 'may contain' or won't talk to you about their policies and procedures for cleaning equipment, doesn't want your business... and you shouldn't give it to them.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote