Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Just got mild whiplash in a taxi, and I've had PCS for 4.5 months

I'm praying, talking to my family & housemates, but wanted to post here.

My neck feels stiff, and the brain feels worse.

I've been slowly healing the past 4.5 months from a TBI. You may have seen my post here on the subject.

So the taxi driver doesn't see the pedestrian til the last minute, slams on the brakes, and my head jerks forward & back. Luckily we were not going very fast, but still.

This concerns me a lot. I haven't cried in a month or so, but I was crying tonight. Anyone have any ifo- support? Thanks!
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear about your injury. I had the same type of thing happen to me except I was going about 55mph and hit a car that pulled out in front of me after running a stop sign. I was somewhat surprised when I found out I had a head injury since I hadn't even hit my head, but when you have whiplash like that I guess it's pretty common.

The only treatment that has helped me is physical therapy for my neck. I actually didn't realize I had a neck injury until about 6 months after my accident when it started really giving me problems. Anyways, I did some therapy for a month and it helped tremendously, so when I had a follow up with my Neuro this past month she let me go back and do some more.

My neck pain is completely gone, and so is the stiffness (as long as I keep up with my stretches every day) and as a result I also haven't gotten a headache for weeks! I used to get one or two migraines a week that would last all day, which was a problem that only started after the accident. I also get dizzy and carsick much less.

I still have my psychological symptoms (mood swings, irritability, brain-overload, memory and concentration problems, etc.) but even those have at least improved somewhat. I think that when one thing feels better it makes everything else feel a little better too.

So my advice to you would be to talk to your doctor (I'm assuming you're seeing a doctor for your TBI) about doing some physical therapy for your neck. Other than that, time is the biggest factor. My accident was about a year and 4 months ago, and although it's been really hard dealing with it I have definitely improved over the long run. It's just a slow process.

Just make sure you're eating healthy, getting some mild exercise (too much makes most people's symptoms worse), and plenty of rest.

Take care =) I'll say an extra prayer for you tonight
jd_rormy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Jeffery,

I hope your are doing ok. I have had PCS for about 4 mo so we are not far off of our original injuries. I'm so sorry about this happening to you in the taxi. something else happening to my brain, some other injury to my brain is my biggest fear right now.

My only words of wisdom are to make sure you call/see your neuro about this so they are aware and can help you get help/other treatment like PT that you need.

Know I'm thinking of you and will be saying a prayer for you today.

Take care,
Marilee
MarileeG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:09 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the replies/prayers.

I wish I had insurance, regular income, or a doctor.

Whenever I read about what to do about an injury online or on a medical product in the store and I see the phrase "see your doctor", I wonder why they assume this is possible. Last time I went to a medical clinic, they didn't really do much anyway.

I've got to be patient & thankful all I've had is headaches & diziness from the start. No cognitive/memory issues. I just wish I knew how much longer the pain is for the brain & now neck.

Thanks!
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote