Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help newbie with neck pain

back story, i have never had neck PAIN, just a mildly tired neck. recently went to the chiro for the first time for thoracic outlet syndrome. he did a lot of adjustments to my neck (didn't help my tos one bit) before saying i was hypermobile. i also have very very tight scalenes and traps from the tos which was exacerbated by weightlifting, which i have since stopped.

ANYWAYS, so i'm not sure what exactly i did or a combo of things which is why i included a back story. but when i turn my head sometimes in the c1 c2 area..it happens on both sides, but usu. one side at different times, will swell (?) it feels a little jellyish and then i get headaches in the back of my head.

does this sound like itll go away on its own? is it a pinched disc or could something else cause that? its just a throb but its ANNOYING. no health ins. right now heat or ice?? move or don't move?? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

never mind i think this is just more TOS.

Last edited by mspennyloafer; 12-07-2010 at 09:51 AM.
mspennyloafer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh lord, no health insurance?? Please don't go to the chiro! Two different neurosurgeons told me NEVER to go to a chiropractor (for persons with back problems) because we might end up either paralyzed and/or in a wheelchair. They both said that Chiros aren't trained enough in the central nervous system to be manipulating the spine the way they do. Just one push, pull, or twist, and you could be in a WORLD of trouble. Before I saw any neurosurgeons, I was desperate and I went to a chiro - you know what he did?? He BROKE my sternum!! And to compensate for that he offered me a FREE VISIT! Gee thanks! If you think I ever went back to him, I've got a bridge to sell you. LOL

You could have a bulge or herniation, but you won't know until you have an MRI with and without contrast material. You should use ICE - NEVER HEAT because heat will draw blood to the area and cause MORE swelling and inflammation. Ice will reduce swelling and also reduce pain. My neuro taught me this. You should use ice for 20 minutes every 2 hours. Keep doing this until the swelling goes down, and the pain is gone.

I sure hope you can get insurance sometime soon. God bless you and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
made it up (12-08-2010)
Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Oh lord, no health insurance?? Please don't go to the chiro! Two different neurosurgeons told me NEVER to go to a chiropractor (for persons with back problems) because we might end up either paralyzed and/or in a wheelchair. They both said that Chiros aren't trained enough in the central nervous system to be manipulating the spine the way they do. Just one push, pull, or twist, and you could be in a WORLD of trouble. Before I saw any neurosurgeons, I was desperate and I went to a chiro - you know what he did?? He BROKE my sternum!! And to compensate for that he offered me a FREE VISIT! Gee thanks! If you think I ever went back to him, I've got a bridge to sell you. LOL

You could have a bulge or herniation, but you won't know until you have an MRI with and without contrast material. You should use ICE - NEVER HEAT because heat will draw blood to the area and cause MORE swelling and inflammation. Ice will reduce swelling and also reduce pain. My neuro taught me this. You should use ice for 20 minutes every 2 hours. Keep doing this until the swelling goes down, and the pain is gone.

I sure hope you can get insurance sometime soon. God bless you and take care. Hugs, Lee

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Oh Leesa,

*edit*
If you suffered a sternal fracture from a manipulation, then you should be sitting fat and happy from winning your malpratice lawsuit. You shouldn't have to trash an effective and viable profession because of YOUR single bad outcome. Countless others feel better and back up thier chiropractor. *edit*
You better tell all the neurologists, orthopedists, neurosurgeons, family practitioners, podiatrists. PT's and others who have refered patient's to me for the last 20 years that they better stop before I hurt them (I grow hair on my palms and tear the wings off of small insects, you know)!

There are good and bad practioners in every discipline (MD's, PsyD., etc, included), not just chiropractic....

*edit*

Last edited by Jomar; 12-08-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: minor edits
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 AM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

We all have our own opinons and going or not to chiropractors is one of those things that can create strong feelings.
It's fine to share your expiriences good or bad - but then let others make their own choice.
Sometimes best to agree to disagree.

Last edited by Jomar; 12-08-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Ice or Heat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post

I'm glad I'm reading this. I used 2 heating pads and at first it felt good but 10 min. wasn't up till I was in extreme pain. I thought my whole back was on fire. Now, I'm sure that Ice is a better solution and it makes more sense. I've so many questions about Inflammations but don't know where to start. If anybody will read this, I would appreciate your help. Thanks ! ! Camryn
Camryn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:44 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Camryn ~ If I CAN answer them, I'll be happy to try. What is it you'd like to know??

Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM #7
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default dr time

Please consider a real Dr. not a chiro. No offence to that practice, but your neck is really something that should be checked out. Too many nerves are in that area to trust to chiro without dr's OK first. I have had major problems with my neck and I would sincerely not want you to have something serious and do further injury. My original Dr. had me pulling up on my neck for excersise before he had the x-rays, big mistake, as I had alot wrong. Get the film if you can to make sure. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
Please consider a real Dr. not a chiro. No offence to that practice, but your neck is really something that should be checked out. Too many nerves are in that area to trust to chiro without dr's OK first. I have had major problems with my neck and I would sincerely not want you to have something serious and do further injury. My original Dr. had me pulling up on my neck for excersise before he had the x-rays, big mistake, as I had alot wrong. Get the film if you can to make sure. ginnie
I would be careful with real doctors too. I have seen MD's miss large disc herniations that led to paralysis, undiagnosed cancers, fractures, aortic anerysms, fully avulsed achilles tendon, torn ligaments, brachial plexus injuries, you name it, I've seen 'em miss 'em! In fact, my PCP told me he never looked at skeletal x-rays that he ordered; he didn't know how to read them. Scary...
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 AM #9
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
In fact, my PCP told me he never looked at skeletal x-rays that he ordered; he didn't know how to read them. Scary...
A lot, if not most, PCPs don't, and for good reason. Like yours, a lot of them wouldn't know what they were looking at. How many are they likely to see in a year when the bulk of their practice is (figuratively) sore throats, maintenance prescriptions and referrals? Most PCPs don't have a fraction of the experience that dedicated (full-time) radiologists (the people who interpret x-rays) have. PCPs go by the radiologist's report, which they do read.

What would scare me is a PCP who disregarded a report from a full-time radiologist. Second opinions are fine/great, but I'd still want one from another radiologist...

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote