Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hi, New Here

I am here because my father suffered a TBI May of this year and he is still in a coma. He wasnt even suppossed to make it through the night much less to where he is. After spending 18 days in ICU then until September 11 of this year in a acute hospital he is a firm level 3 on the glasgow scale he was only a 2 when he left the hospital. He is being cared for by me and my stepmother in her home. Its been rough to say the least. I have a soon to be 6 month son that he was sooooooo anxious for but has yet to really meet. He watches him now and you can tell he wants to talk to him or to do something and he cant. I was lucky in the fact that 2 weeks before his accident I had gotten married finally and he was one of our witnesses. He however has missed his wedding until he is awake. Him and my stepmother were suppossed to be married September 11th instead she brought him home to care for while he is in a coma.

Its amazing how far he has come and will hopefully come. He is making little improvements all the time from where he was. I know we are extremely lucky to have him here today even in the shape he is in but it still hurts to see him like he is. Recently I had to walk back in front of that ICU to visit another person in the hospital and I literally fell to my knees. The feelings that place holds is just tremendous. The doctors never thought he would make it this far and we had to pass the room where we were told we might have to make life support choices for him. At the time on top of everything I was 8 months pregnant and living out of state. I have since moved closer to help him and help my stepmom in his care.

Its just so hard and no one seems to understand how it is to have your father in a coma. On top of that we could just use some help in things that will help him come back to us soon.
bbinns is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Welcome to neuro Talk, Sorry to hear of your father's struggles.

From what little I know about comatose TBI subjects, I do know one thing. It is beneficial for him to hear familiar voices. Keep talking to him. Some people have gone so far as to read to their loved one.

Does he have any favorite books or authors? Did he always read the newspaper? Anything familiar read by a familiar voice will be good.

Anything you can do to stimulate his senses will help his brain find its way back. Massaging his hands while you talk to him.

Hopefully, his doctors and other health workers have explained these to you.

Your road ahead will likely be a long one. I have a friend who was comatose for 6 weeks and took 2 years to regain his speech and walking skills. Your efforts may seem fruitless but don't lose hope. Every little bit help him move forward in his recovery.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

We read to him watch tv with him encourage my 3 year old to talk to him and just play and act normal in the house with him, we all talk to him or sit next to him and have our conversations hes never left out of it. His bed is in the middle of the house where all the action is so hes in the middle of it all.

They have explained all that to us. We have just got the idea to try my infant sons toys with him to see if certain things will help

Soon we are hoping he will be ready for rehab we were told what level he needs to be but not exactly what counts on that level (the things they measure can mean different things to different people) We are in the process of trying to get someone out to evaluate him right now.
bbinns is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote