Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MRI interpretation ????

First of all I'd like to mention that I had a cervical fusion 8 years ago (C6-7). It was a complete success. No pain at all after surgery. Whew!

Now to the present: I went to see my doctor for an extreme stiff neck on right side and weakness in trapezius muscles on both sides. I could barely hold my head up. It felt like a bowling ball. Also shoulder pain and mild tingling in arm.

Doc ordered new MRI of my neck. Results:

Moderately mainly left paracentral disc bulge with unconvertebral hypertrophy at C5-C6 with mild narrowing of the foramina.

Mild disc bulge with unconvertebral hypertrophy at C3-4 and C4-5 level as described above.

Mild central disc bulgeat T1-T2 level (where is that???) without cord impingment.

Anterior fusion of C6-7 vertebral bodies. Alignment is satisfactory.
Interpretations welcome, please!!

My GP (internal medicine) said I had arthritis that I would just have to live with.

Another internal med doc. said that if this current MRI was taken a year ago, the results would be exactly the same. And since I had no pain a year ago, then this new MRI does not show anything that accounts for the current pain I'm having and suggested I had Tension Myositis Syndrome.

A sports medicine Dr. also blew off the MRI as 'nothing' and diagnosed me with TOS and sent me home with various exercises and tennis ball compression work.....which is helping slightly.

Another doc believes it could be Fibro.

Now I am so confused I don't know what to think!!!!

In addition to neck/shoulder/trapezius pain I also have pin-prick sensations EVERYWHERE in my body along with random muscle twitches and shooting nerve pains all over the place and widepread toothache type pain in my upper back. Really scary!

After reading up on TOS, FIbro, Poly M....I don't think I have all the classic symptoms to put me solidly in any box. It's like I have a little bit of everything, including Lyme disease....

Sorry for the long post....but maybe someone here can relate or interpret.

Best wishes to all! And thank you for reading!

P.S. I did post this on the Thoracic Outlet forum and it was suggested I post here for additional responses.
lilo55 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, lets see:

At C5-6 you have a disc bulge with overgrowth of bone and narrowing of the hole that the nerves pass thru going to the spinal cord.

At C3-4 and C4-5 it's the same as above.

At T1-2 you have a disc bulge with no spinal cord impingement. (the thoracic level is the level between your cervical spine and the lumbar spine.)

Fusion at C6-7 -- everything is great.

This really doesn't show what could be cause any extreme pain -- or much of any pain at all.

Have you seen a Neurologist/Neurosurgeon?? Perhaps he could give you a better idea of what you might be suffering from. That's who I would take my films to next. I hope you can find some reason for your pain. I wish you the very best. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lilo55 (12-20-2010)