advertisement

Old 02-24-2007, 03:28 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Kefir Madness

Nancy got me curious about making your own kefir and its healing benefits to the intestines. I wanted to get more probiotics than the two species my supplements are giving me. Kefir has something like 40 different beneficial probiotics!

I found this website to locate someone in my area for kefir grains. Kefir grains are not grains at all, but the organisms and structure they create to make cauliflower looking blobs.

http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php

We did a trade off in town, and I've been making dairy kefir ever since. I donated a couple of dollars, so it was really cheap. I think it's been helpful, but it's only been about two weeks since I got them. Anything to compete with those bad bacteria in my gut!

I'm curious about making coconut milk kefir. I'm hoping Nancy will chime in here. Nancy, did you rinse your kefir grains in water before transfering them over to coconut milk, or does it matter? Does it take longer to make kefir in coconut milk than it does in dairy milk?

Nancy, I'm also wondering if you eat your kefir grains and have you noticed the healing benefits from that? I accidentally got a small one that I didn't filter out once and it seemed really chewy.

If you want to learn more about kefir, this is the "everything you wanted to know about kefir, but were afraid to ask" website. The information and layout can be a little overwhelming, but there's a lot of good info there.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Please chime in with your personal experiences with kefir!

Claire

advertisement
Old 02-24-2007, 10:17 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the link, Claire. I have not a thing to add to the thread, knowing nothing at all about kefir, but thanks to your link, hopefully I won't be such an ignoramus in the future.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had kefir all last winter and it really did improve my gut we have goats and I am ok with goat milk ( but not cows milk ) so we just made it from that - raw unpasturised milk of course as heating milk destroys the enzymes

once summer came ( I am in australia it is summer now ) the heat made the kefir much stronger and it smelled more of alcohol ........ I noticed my hands were much number and eventually stopped the kefir to see if it was the alcohol - which it turned out it was. I cannot tolerate alcohol at all

so back to yogurt at least for the summer and I notice my gut has got worse again

koz
kozz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:44 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the links and the tips.

I think I'm ready to jump in with coconut milk now.

I've contacted one of the people on the list. We'll see if it's still and active 'donor'.

It would be nice if I could eventually become a donor for other people who also don't tolerate dairy well.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:04 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

From what I have read, if you have a true living kefir culture, it won't sustain for ever on coconut milk, but if you you rotate it with dairy milk every 4 weeks or so (you don't have to drink the dairy if you don't want to) it will continue to thrive! I have not yet tried it. I would love to try dairy kefir, but I react so badly to dairy, it would be a very bad idea. And I haven't gotten myself motivated enough to start the water kefir or coconut kefir. In the meantime I have probiotics that I can't even remember to take on a daily basis! Oh I need someone to come and organize me! One of these days, though...we'll be on the kefir bandwagon!

A day to day lunch pictorial
sleepingbean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Nancy seems to be doing very well with coconut kefir.

She is the one who is inspiring me to finally get off my butt about committing to the project.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ighlight=kefir
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:12 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I really don't want to do this but I may have to! LOL! I spent hours yesterday trying to find a vegan, gf, sf, corn-free probiotic for my child. Nada!
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:07 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamietwo View Post
I really don't want to do this but I may have to! LOL! I spent hours yesterday trying to find a vegan, gf, sf, corn-free probiotic for my child. Nada!
Given my fear of having things explode (still haven't worked up the nerve to buy a pressure cooker -- years of my mom telling me, "Mustn't touch ... very dangerous!" have done a number on me), I haven't tried to make kefir. There is also something you can make called rejuvelac. It is usually made with wheat or rye, I think, but I've seen a recipe using cabbage. http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com....juvelac-recipe
There's always kim chee as well. But getting your child to drink fermented cabbage juice or eat kim chee may be a nonstarter

I have a brand of probiotic I bought at Whole Foods, FloraMore, which says on the label: "Contains no yeast, wheat, corn, soy, gluten, salt, dairy, animal products, binders, fillers or artificial ingredients." This is what it does contain:http://www.renewlife.com/flowmeter.cfm?meter=375
It says on the label that the FOS "promotes growth of healthy bacteria." It also shows other ingredients (not on the web site ) of rice flour and vegetable capsule (vegetable fiber and water). There are some online sources shown on the web site, plus a customer service number, if you don't have a Whole Foods nearby or it doesn't stock this. Another contact number for the company, not shown on the web site, is 1-866-450-1787.

DianeR
hathor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

LOL! Diane, you're right - getting my child to eat any cabbage, let alone fermented would be a chore!

I too discovered the Renew Life probiotics at my nfs recently and am thinking about ordering some ... for me! Their children's version (the chewable), contains one of the things on my son's "can't have" list (citric acid, I think). The brand we used to use now has dairy in it, thanks to the new labeling laws, I'm sure.

ETA: ok, now I clicked on your link and see that the probiotic you mentioned is for children 1 and up! I'll have to look for that one at my Whole Foods. I was disappointed to see that iherb.com doesn't carry it (unless I just couldn't find it). They do have the UltimateFlora Critical Care, but its pretty expensive (and for adults)! Anyone know if its ok to just dump the powder out of the capsule for a child that doesn't swallow pills yet?

Last edited by jamietwo; 02-25-2007 at 06:24 PM.
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Is this also on Brain Talk? I seem to recall responding to this thread. Ok, yeah it over there too.

Anyway, I've been weighing my kefir grains after making coconut milk kefir and they seem to be staying the same weight (15 grams right now and for the last 3 batches). So perhaps that means they're not growing. I guess I'll pick up some goat milk and see if that gives them a "shot in the arm" so to speak. It'll also be interesting to see if my gut responds badly to the goat milk. I'm never quite sure if it does or not. Right now my gut seems to be made out of cast iron, nothing is bothering me.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote