Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default anyone ever had a "EMG"?

im having cronic pain in my arms all the way down to my hands and fingers where at times it hurts to touch them .some one told me the "EMG"test are painfullits a test they have to do to my neck.they saw from my "MRI"and found there is a lot of damage there.had surgery and therapy to my shoulder but after 2yrs still no relief nor can i return to work.so they think its my neck with its rupter disc's.maybe pinching a nerve.anyone ever had this done....thanks
don1956 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-06-2011, 12:58 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi! Sorry you're experiencing so much pain. I've had 5 EMGs. They hurt briefly during the the exam. From your description of the pain (painful to the touch), have they considered RSD?
Sheri_TOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri_TOS View Post
Hi! Sorry you're experiencing so much pain. I've had 5 EMGs. They hurt briefly during the the exam. From your description of the pain (painful to the touch), have they considered RSD?
hmm?not sure what that is but i will let the doctor know that it hurts when i touch my fingers and can he also do "RSD"seems it hard to get people to listen to me when i try and tell them that i have a problem or what is bothering me
Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I've had the EMG and YES it's painful. They put "leads" on you that are attached to a machine - much like you'd have if you were going to have an EKG. Then they "turn on the juice" and zap you with electrical currents and it HURTS like the devil! Luckily it doesn't last long. They also poke you with needles to see if you can feel it in different places i.e. lower leg, thigh, etc. Perhaps they'll be poking you in the arms, hands, etc. They won't be poking your neck, I'm pretty sure.

That's briefly a description. Best of luck. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hi ~ I've had the EMG and YES it's painful. They put "leads" on you that are attached to a machine - much like you'd have if you were going to have an EKG. Then they "turn on the juice" and zap you with electrical currents and it HURTS like the devil! Luckily it doesn't last long. They also poke you with needles to see if you can feel it in different places i.e. lower leg, thigh, etc. Perhaps they'll be poking you in the arms, hands, etc. They won't be poking your neck, I'm pretty sure.

That's briefly a description. Best of luck. Hugs, Lee
thank you much "Leesa" and yes its my arms,hand shoulder and my neck where it hurts.they dont have to poke me for that i feel the pain already
thank you again "leesa"
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

don1956, I have had several through the years (both arms and legs) and I have to say I didn't think they were too bad. There was only one time where it was was painful but I think it was because my Neurologist was in a hurry that day. And, yes, she has placed a needle right around the C7 level before. Other than that, yes, you will feel it but just briefly. Heck, acupuncture hurt more than the EMGs did LOL! Anyway, I honestly think it depends on WHO is performing the test. So far, with the exception of that one time, they have been fine. If they told me tomorrow I needed another, no problem. Btw, my mom just had one done and had never had one before. But like me, she just thought it was uncomfortable...that's about it. Oh, forgot to add, and this is really strange. But my arms always felt BETTER afterwards. I don't know maybe the shocks helped in some strange way LOL!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Emg

I had an EMG over the summer. I just had a 2 level ACDF. If you use a doctor that is certified and well versed in the EMG it is mildly uncomfortable. You feel twinges and maybe a radiating pain down the arm. Definitely less painful than a muscle spasm or the pain involved in disk herniation. If you are concerned about permanent nerve damage it is worth doing the test. If you plan on surgery regardless, than it may not matter. My feelings after putting off the ACDF until I could not handle the pain is . . . don't wait. The rewards are worth it. I have been off narcotic pain killers since a week out of surgery where I was taking narcotics 3 times a day for 6 months.
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

hey,hey thanks folks for the tips i knew i could get the right answer here.im going in next wednesday night(6:15pm)thought it was kind of strange though.but i guess this will finally anwer why after surgery i still have pain(its been 2yrs).i hope i can return to work.i only need 5 more yrs and i can retire...thank you all again
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM #9
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hello Don

I have not had this test because I went with someone who did. I refused this tests and stated I have no wish to feel a cattle prod. I am not interested. This former doctor said politely, then I am afraid I am not able to help you. I have since found out there are alot of different tests than can be done. I found another SNS and had wonderful results, I wish you all the best. Ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
I have not had this test because I went with someone who did. I refused this tests and stated I have no wish to feel a cattle prod. I am not interested. This former doctor said politely, then I am afraid I am not able to help you. I have since found out there are alot of different tests than can be done. I found another SNS and had wonderful results, I wish you all the best. Ginnie
your right ginnie im not to thrilled/or looking forward to getting "CattleProd"
but if this is what it takes (or they want).....