Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 05:29 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Neck MRI question

hello, can anyone tell me the laymans interp of this mri please

interpretation - at the c2/c3 and c4/5 disc space levels, disc bulges are noted at both levels deforming the anterior margin of the thecal sac without extension to the spinal cord or neural foramina. loss of disc signal with preservation of disc space height is noted at c2/3. preservation of disc space height and signal is noted at c4/5

i have severe neck pain, left side over shoulder, down to chest

thank you
neckpain1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 04:59 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ All this means is you have disc bulges at both those levels and they deform the front margin of the thecal sac - that is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord and the cauda equina. The thecal sac is filled with cerebral spinal fluid. The spinal cord and neural foramina are fine. You have good disc space height at both levels -- meaning the vertebra haven't squished together.

It doesn't mention them impinging on any nerves, etc. From this it wouldn't seem that your pain would be so severe, but I BELIEVE you!! I know all about these stupid MRI's not coinciding with the amount of pain you're in. I wish you the best of luck -- and stick to your guns!! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 AM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckpain1 View Post
i have severe neck pain, left side over shoulder, down to chest

thank you

Do you have any elbow, hand or arm problems at all?
A repetitive or desk type job?
Is the pain constant most of the time or does it fluctuate with use?
Does your posture have any effect on the pain?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Please help with MRI and EMG results

Hello if someone can please explain these results to me without all the big words.
I was in a car wreck in 1996 this broke my C4-C6 and I was placed in a Halo, I removed the Halo myself after 2wks(big big mistake) My C4-C6 actually fused together wrong and there's nothing anyone can do surgically. I'm 41 and in severs pain daily from my head to my toes.
C2-C3 Demonstrates a small posterior disc protrusion with mild central stenosis.
C3-C4 Demonstrates posterior disc osteophyte complex causing moderate impingement. Unconvertabral degeneration results in mild foraminal narrowing.
C4-C5 There is posterior disc osteophyte complex causing moderate stenosis. There is moderate to severe bilateral foraminal narrowinh due to unconvertabral and facet degeneration.
C5-C6 Demostrates mild disc degeneration change but no significate stenosis.
C6-C7 Demostrates posterior disc osteophyte complex causing mild central stenosis and foraminal narrowing.
C7-T1 Demostrates mild left foraminal narrowing and mild posterolateral spinal stenosis on the left due to facet degeneration.

On sagittal view, degenerated disc with disc space lost is seen at T11-T12 Generalized bulge is present effacinh the anterior subaracnoid space and appear to abut the cord but not causing cord impingement. There is overall mild central stenosis.
L1-L2 normal
L2-L3 Mild facet degeneration is seen, minium bulg is present.
L3-L4 Mild facet degeneration is noted
L4-L5 Tiny central protrusion is seen but no canal compromised. Mild facet degeneration is noted.

EMG Impression: This is an abnormal study. There is evidence for a right median neuropathy at the wrist, that is moderate to severe. In addition, there appears tobe an old chronic right C5 Radiculopathy.

Can someone break this down for me please?????
Thank you.
indy-pain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote